Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Actually should not have a red and green to avoid confusion between a kayak and a powered vessel. With the white 360 only they should know you can't get out of the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You really dont have to have a 360 degree white light one that you can shine dirict and have quick access to.

Kayak Lighting Requirements

There are relatively scant Coast Guard requirements for kayak lighting in comparison with other small craft. Unlike most other boats, no lighting is required from dawn to dusk, except in extreme foul weather. At night only a bright flashlight readily available is required, yet having side-running lights as on a sailboat is advised. An excellent resource for the details on proper boat lighting is the Federal Requirements for Recreational Boats brochure--to order, call the Coast Guard Customer info line at 1-800-368-5647.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yep, a 360 degree white light isn't required. Just a bright white directional light that can be used to signal other boaters of your presence. Last I read up on the USCG requirements you need at least three such lights with you, meaning two spare lights. I bring 3 bright LED headlamps with me while I'm out at night. A 360 white light is a good safety item to have. Never a bad thing to go above and beyond minimum safety requirements.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep, a 360 degree white light isn't required. Just a bright white directional light that can be used to signal other boaters of your presence. Last I read up on the USCG requirements you need at least three such lights with you, meaning two spare lights. I bring 3 bright LED headlamps with me while I'm out at night. A 360 white light is a good safety item to have. Never a bad thing to go above and beyond minimum safety requirements.
That Coast Guard requirement for 3 lights is ONLY if you use pyrotechnic type lights (flares), but as you say it never hurts to have more safety devices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts