Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of hunts I had several deer in the field. Nothing I wanted to take. I hated to leave and "educate" the deer to the stand. So, what's your trick to leave the stand with the least impact on the deer intelligence? I coyote howled yesterday until they ran off. Tonite I tossed my pee bottle out the stand, one doe ran off. I shut down the windows, made a ton of noise, and a spike and 4 other deer just stared at me. Tossed my pack down the steps, they trotted a few feet. Only when I walked out did they leave. It was pretty dark by this time. Tips appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I usually throw something if it's really still to make them run off. If its windy I just climb down

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The last couple of hunts I had several deer in the field. Nothing I wanted to take. I hated to leave and "educate" the deer to the stand. So, what's your trick to leave the stand with the least impact on the deer intelligence? I coyote howled yesterday until they ran off. Tonite I tossed my pee bottle out the stand, one doe ran off. I shut down the windows, made a ton of noise, and a spike and 4 other deer just stared at me. Tossed my pack down the steps, they trotted a few feet. Only when I walked out did they leave. It was pretty dark by this time. Tips appreciated.
This is going to seem like a smart ass answer but its not if you gonna hunt fields you need to put your stand off the field where you can see the field but they can't see you coming and going.If you have the space and access it would benefit you to have multiple stands and entry points to the field to play the wind.This is my opinion nothing else. Works for me in fields and in the woods. I hunt the wind not the stand.Slip in and out of where ever you hunt. Do your best to never leave sent.It helps! Just keep in the back of your mind he is always watching if the he is hiding and watching what you are he see's you or smells you he may avoid the area or at least to after dark

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is going to seem like a smart ass answer but its not if you gonna hunt fields you need to put your stand off the field where you can see the field but they can't see you coming and going.If you have the space and access it would benefit you to have multiple stands and entry points to the field to play the wind.This is my opinion nothing else. Works for me in fields and in the woods. I hunt the wind not the stand.Slip in and out of where ever you hunt. Do your best to never leave sent.It helps! Just keep in the back of your mind he is always watching if the he is hiding and watching what you are he see's you or smells you he may avoid the area or at least to after dark
Next season I'm going to cut some trails into the stands I hunt so I can do the sneaky-sneak.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you wait till till its dark as hell they dony know what you are even if they do see you. Most of mine I can ease out and never scare them

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Deer are weird animals. Trying to be quiet and stealthy, the deer will run for miles at the sound of a fart.
A few weeks ago, I shot a deer and I went down to get it. As I was walking back to the ladder stand, my son was talking to 3 does that were less than 20 yds from the stand.(he is 8yo) I shined my light cause I could hear him talking and it worried me. Dang deer were just standing there looking at him.
point being, I just leave.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I usually ease out when it’s dark enough but sometimes I bark like hell at them. They usually just mosey on off.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
get a pocket tape recorded and tape a growling/howling dog. deer don't like the sound of a dog.
if they don't come back, it worked too good. lol.
jack

·
Registered
636 Posts
The deer know my box stand is there. Videos from feeder cam and other cams on shooting lanes show the deer stepping out and looking at the stand even when I’m not there. I am more concerned about alerting deer when entering the stand than exiting. I have seen hog grunts push deer off if you feel you need to make some noise to move them.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Since we only hunt green fields, we designed stands so we can get exit with deer in the plot (to the greatest extent possible). They have tin on the backside of the legs so you can't be seen climbing up, soft dirt trails with no leaves leading to them and if needed, brush stacked up along the path as blocking. I climbed into my stand Wednesday for the afternoon hunt with a doe 30 yards away and opened my window when she started feeding again. I do have a plot I can only hunt it in the morning because I can get in it early and not scare deer, but I can't leave it in the evening without being seen. The only way I hunt that stand in the evening is if another hunter is on the property and will drive into my plot and scare the deer off so I can get down.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I carry an electronic coyote call in my backpack. Bout the size of an 8 ounce beer. Sitting in the stand about 4:45 saturday afternoon watching a bunch of does hoping the big one would walk out when a half dozen turkeys came into the field. As they walked towards the does they ran like a scalded Jack2 rabbit. Didn't have any idea they were scared of turkeys.
Vertebrate Plant Wood Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have always waited until as late as possible to climb down in the dark. I have shined the flashlight at them on burst mode, it usually scares them off. But i also agree with the earlier response of having the stands as far off the plot as possible. I have seen from camera action that most deer come back within minutes of you leaving the plot, if they are minimally disturbed. As far as howling, barking, or throwing stuff at them .. I feel like you shouldn't do that as they could associate danger to the box. If they spook from you just exiting and nothing happens other than they hear foot steps going away , it is far more beneficial in the long run.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,966 Posts
I hope some of y'all hunt with suppressors and use sub sonic rounds, so you don't spook them......

• Haha
Reactions: jack2

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,718 Posts
If it's dark, pretty much nothing works next to running at them. Even shooting don't bother them most of the time, nor does a 1-eyed bird dog blaring at them. or a bright flashlight
Even used my varmint caller (wounded rabbit and coyote howl), they still stood fast and then continued browsing.
So just get down and walk to ur vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts