Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Complete turtle.

Lost one box of hooks and weights and one glove.

3 Rods, 3 tackle trays, gaff, cooler, seats etc were on the boat strapped in. most importantly my son and I were found as well :)

My son thought it was funny. It scared me until my son came up laughing. My wife would have grounded us both :)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is one of the thigs Im conccerned most about...I have bougt my son a revo 11 and all he talks about is going out the Gulf...He needs to learn a few things first, He is 10 y.o.
Do you bail out when u read 4 ft or so? before the brakers ofcourse, and ride the wave? Im sure the tides play a big role. I just cant wait to put it out there and keep a clean record...(no flipping)

·
King of Mobile
1,147 Posts
please elaborate on what happened???. im new to yaking making my first trip around dauphin island tomorrow.. lifetime fisherman have countless honey holes but bought my first kayak today.. any info tips on do's and dont's would be appreciated

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
please elaborate on what happened???. im new to yaking making my first trip around dauphin island tomorrow.. lifetime fisherman have countless honey holes but bought my first kayak today.. any info tips on do's and dont's would be appreciated
I read on here one thing to do is hop off before the breakers and swim the yak in. I developed a false sneeze of security. The water has been rough (2-4) and I had surfed in a few times. Today, I got on a smallish wave thought I could surf it in and before I could react we were in the drink bottoms up.

The problem/temptation is that surfing is fun...but kayaks are not surfboards. No more surfing for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Flounder...we are seasoned veterans...been out 3 times. :blink:... His son, my nephew, thought rolling was the greatest thing ever. I have surfed successfully a few time by myself. with two in the boat, it absolutely does not work.

I will add, that I was with our dad on the same trip. I got my dad a big bight on a live bait...good king...got him up to the boat green, but he made a run and the hook pulled. would have been the highlight of the trip. oh well...a great fish story. we will be out tomorrow...swimming our yaks in, of course...:)

·
Saltybeachdog
65 Posts
How far out where you when you flipped. Past the second sand bar or just inside. I am new to kayaking and would like advice. When you say swim it in, are you talking about getting off the kayak around the second sand bar just outside the breaks and swimimg it in?

How big was the surf at the time?

I am sure I will learn the hard way but I would like to avoid that if I can.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dang that sucks. I've had it happen 3 times in as many years, definitely no fun but at least a learning experience for the future. Glad nobody was hurt and it didn't scare your son off of kayak fishing.

FYI, if you decide to swim it in, DO NOT LEAD THE YAK from the front. It WILL run your @$$ over and try to bash you in the back of the head! Hang on to the stern and slowly steer it to shore. Let you body act as a drift anchor to slow the yak down and control it.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How far out where you when you flipped. Past the second sand bar or just inside. I am new to kayaking and would like advice. When you say swim it in, are you talking about getting off the kayak around the second sand bar just outside the breaks and swimimg it in?

How big was the surf at the time?

I am sure I will learn the hard way but I would like to avoid that if I can.
About 20 yards. I was on the 1st sandbar headed for the beach.

I was in some heavier waves (2-4) but never felt threatened with a dump when offshore. I questioned my sanity at times though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang that sucks. I've had it happen 3 times in as many years, definitely no fun but at least a learning experience for the future. Glad nobody was hurt and it didn't scare your son off of kayak fishing.

FYI, if you decide to swim it in, DO NOT LEAD THE YAK from the front. It WILL run your @$$ over and try to bash you in the back of the head! Hang on to the stern and slowly steer it to shore. Let you body act as a drift anchor to slow the yak down and control it.

Good luck!
Alex
Thanks Alex. I learned that one as well.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
After having done my surf trials and then having that big flip, I decided to bail every time. So now it doesn't matter the size of the waves. I usually call out to someone I spot in the surf to see if they are standing in the water. I then gauge my bail out from that. I make sure everything is put away or tied down tight. I then bail out. I hold onto the side of the kayak from the middle to the back to let the wave guide it in. Once in the shallow water, then its to the front and pull it in to the beach. The only thing that happens is you get wet coming in. But you usually got wet busting through the surf on the way out.

I would say this, if you have surf breaking on the second sandbar, the conditions are likely too intense for kayaking today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts