Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TJ McBoatFace
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a fairly significant leak from what appears to be my rudder packing and I'm looking for someone who could help me get this fixed. Any ideas? Boat is in dry storage in P'cola.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
What size boat and rudder type and shaft size,

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
If it's on the hill just repack it, take the gland off and dig out a ring of paching for size. Get a length of packing enough to cut rings remove all the rings. Cut the new packing to fit. Replace the rings stagering the ends. Tighten gland down snug and check when underway for leakage a rudder should have none. Sounds worse than it is. Simple.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
If it's anything like the tournament ski boats I've owned, you can tighten the nut that holds the packing a bit (you still want a little drip). Easy peasy.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
If it's anything like the tournament ski boats I've owned, you can tighten the nut that holds the packing a bit (you still want a little drip). Easy peasy.
Not necessary or desired to have any drip in a rudder, it doesn't move that fast or far.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
In a ski boat you sometimes have to whip it around 180 degrees at 36 MPH when a skier crashes and burns, often in a very narrow space. I can see how an inboard fishing boat doesn't need or be able to do that. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
The only reason to have any leakage on any shaft is to keep the packing from overheating. Like a spinning constantly high rpm propeller shaft. Or a centrifical pump shaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts