Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this question and did not find anything. This will be the first season that I try to catch a cobia. Do you guys use a leader or not? I spooled my new reel with 25 lb mono. I am not sure if I need to put a short mono leader behind the jig or not. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We will have both (Jig and live bait with leader and without) rigged and ready to go cause you never know and you better be ready for anything. This is on a boat though haven't been on the pier for 20+ years.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Heck I use 80# mono or no leader at all with Power Pro! You cant see PP inOur green water! Oh yeah, Obviously thats a dirt car because I've never seen it a Five Flags Speedway. No winshield tells me that. You can run it there with some slight improvements.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I always use a 50-60lb mono or fluoro leader. Braid actually has worse abrasion resistance than mono.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
tunapopper (2/27/2010)I always use a 50-60lb mono or fluoro leader. Braid actually has worse abrasion resistance than mono.
Hhhmmm. Ive caught a bunch of sharks on braid that would have been lost on mono especially spinner sharks. have caught a large ling on braid with no leader. Have wrapped a fish around a concrete structure & got it out. I must in my mind trust the braid more & thats why it works for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%"><TBODY><TR id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_trRow2><TD id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_tdPostCell3 class=TableCell_Light vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_tdPostCell4 class=TableCell_Light vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_lblFullMessage>Heck I use 80# mono or no leader at all with Power Pro! You cant see PP inOur green water! Oh yeah, Obviously thats a dirt car because I've never seen it a Five Flags Speedway. No winshield tells me that. You can run it there with some slight improvements. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
This picture was from two seasons ago. I actually have the body off right now in order to put a new one on. Probably going back with "Go Getum" green paint. I've built four cars and they have all been green. I checked into running my SS at Kinston once and I think they have the same rules as Five Flags. There was no place for adirt SS to run at the asphalt track. Too much motor for one class, and not enough for the next. If I remember correctly, we have more camshaft than your spectator class. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think so. I would like to give asphalt a try sometime, especially after watching "Mad House" every week.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
King Crab (2/28/2010)
tunapopper (2/27/2010)I always use a 50-60lb mono or fluoro leader. Braid actually has worse abrasion resistance than mono.
Hhhmmm. Ive caught a bunch of sharks on braid that would have been lost on mono especially spinner sharks. have caught a large ling on braid with no leader. Have wrapped a fish around a concrete structure & got it out. <U>I must in my mind trust the braid more & thats why it works for me</U>.
No sarcasm at all I'm sure. Indeed you can do those things and more. I too have caught many large fish without a mono leader but have lost many more wishing I had one. I think it all has to do with whether or not (hope I explain this right) the fish is running away from you when itcrosses structure versus running hard to the side and simply wrapping around, not pulling crossways against the structure cause in this instance I've caught many fish that wrapped mono around structure as well.

I've used a grinder with a smootherstone and done abrasion tests at the store and have repeatedly broken braid faster when applied under pressure. This coupled with abrasion tests in magazines and things I've had happen has at least made up in my mind that if I'm fishing braid, I'm gonna have a mono leader.

I'm not a lineabrasionologist but from what I've seen, 20 mono will usually hold up against a rock better than 20lb braid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts