Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd spice things up a bit with a fresh water yakkin' report. Hope it's welcome.

Woke up with nothing to do on a beautiful Monday morning so I decided to head to the lake to wet a line. By the way, I'm from Central Alabama, so I'm sorry to say I get to freshwater fish more than salt. Anyway, 3rd cast of the morning, hooked up with a nice sized crappie. If I had a way to keep him good, he would've been dinner. The rest of the morning continued on the same note, hooking up with several small bass, 1-3 # size (I think ones a smallmouth?). After lunch, afternoon started relatively slow, but picked up later on. Got a few more bass, another crappie (same size as the first), and a surprise. A freshwater Drum. Never got one of those before.

All total, 6 Bass, 2 Crappie, and 1 Drum. Sure glad the heat is gone and fall fishing is back!

Some Photos!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
NICE catch!! Thanks for posting!! I need to learn again how to catch fish in freshwater. I tried last year... going up river... and couldn't get them to bite anything.:banghead

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
SheYakFishr (10/17/2007)NICE catch!! Thanks for posting!! I need to learn again how to catch fish in freshwater. I tried last year... going up river... and couldn't get them to bite anything.:banghead
Don't lie Pam, why don't you post a picture of your Largemouth Bass?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Garbo (10/17/2007)
SheYakFishr (10/17/2007)NICE catch!! Thanks for posting!! I need to learn again how to catch fish in freshwater. I tried last year... going up river... and couldn't get them to bite anything.:banghead
Don't lie Pam, why don't you post a picture of your Largemouth Bass?
Dying laffin
I haven't caught ANY freshwater fish in... ummmm... well... lets see.... maybe 25 years... when I was married to a bass fisherman. I'm sure they were just not hungry.. hehehehe

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
What part of the Coosa were you fishing? I was up in Gardendale last weekend , I have alot of kin folk up there. Pam this is where I was offering for you to come and camp if you wanted to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If that second pic is the one you are calling a smallmouth ....It's not...That's a Coosa River Spotted Bass...Called alot of different things around the nation...Kentucky Spotted Bass for one.....World record used to come from Smith Lake but now is from California....Between 9 & 10 pounds I think. The spots on the Coosa are known very well in the BASSMASTER world. A little FYI......

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
bamasam (10/17/2007)What part of the Coosa were you fishing? I was up in Gardendale last weekend , I have alot of kin folk up there. Pam this is where I was offering for you to come and camp if you wanted to.
Yeah... that place looks really nice to stay at!!... plus get to TRY to catch some freshwater fish! I just need something to stay in... besides a dangggg tent. laffs... One of these days.. I'll take you up on that Sam!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bamasam, This was at Lay Lake. I saw on your profile you're from Harpersville, so it's right down the road from where you're at.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ID on the Spotted Bass Dusty. I thought he was something a little different since no balck band. Just started fishing Lay recently so I've never caught one before.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'm from Montgomery andfish the coosaall the time! I catch more of them than largemouth. They are great fun on an ultralite or flyrod.

What did you catch the drum on. I have been trying to catch one. I see them all the time in the coosa at Wetumpka.

SheYAk, I fished with your brother and nephew yesterday. He mentioned that you would have loved it. We had a great time, you should come along next time.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
dustyshpp (10/17/2007)If that second pic is the one you are calling a smallmouth ....It's not...That's a Coosa River Spotted Bass...Called alot of different things around the nation...Kentucky Spotted Bass for one.....World record used to come from Smith Lake but now is from California....Between 9 & 10 pounds I think. The spots on the Coosa are known very well in the BASSMASTER world. A little FYI......
We have plenty of both in the quarry that Joe (my neighbor) and I fish. Chilton County.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><A name=largemouth>FLORIDA LARGEMOUTH BASS</A><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The upper jaw extends beyond the rear edge of the eye. Its first and second dorsal fins are almost separated by an obvious deep dip. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><A name=spotted>SPOTTED BASS</A><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The upper jaw does not extend past the eye. First and second dorsal fins are clearly connected.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Nice report from my old home grounds. My dad used to tell stories of him and his dad catching 60 lb drums from the Coosa around Wilsonville; but then, my dad was a fisherman and there were no pics. :takephoto:poke

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NoMoSurf....The Drum was caught on a Berkley Frenzy Rattl'r cast parallel to the weed beds. I let it sink down to almost bottom and brought it back on a slow retreive. Didn't hit all that hard, so let 'em realize they're hooked on their own then one good hook set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts