Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this discussed before so I figure I will start a thread addressing it. No matter how busy a ramp is or how convenient it is, NEVER NEVER NEVER back your vehicle down a boat ramp with kids strapped in car seats. We all see the pictures of vehicles going in the drink at the boat ramp and laugh and say "I would never do that". It would not be as funny if the person had a toddler strapped in the back.

The first time we took my son out on the boat, we pulled up to the ramp and I told my wife to get out and take him with her. She looked at me like I was crazy until I explained. Then she said "Wow!, I never would have thought of that". Now we have two kids and it is more inconvenient for her but she does it without thinking. I will say that I have never witnessed this happen but, like many other people, I never would have noticed it until three years ago when I had a child of my own. It has a tendency of changing your perspective.

·
Super Moderator
28,291 Posts
You can just put a life jacket on em and a leash then throw em off the dock....another good use fer the tie downs at the ramp!!!:whistling:;)

Never thought about it and can't remember what I use to do w/ the kids actually when I launched my sleds....:001_huh:

Reactions: MaxxT

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"You can just put a life jacket on em and a leash then throw em off the dock....another good use fer the tie downs at the ramp!!!:whistling:;)"

That is much safer than drowning!:) Just make sure they don't get in the way of the people who are fishing at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Food for thought. I fish alone with my 3 year old pretty regularly, usually unbuckle him at the ramp but I have to keep him in the car until the boats tied up at the dock. Then I park the truck and put his life jacket on before walking down,

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Food for thought. I fish alone with my 3 year old pretty regularly, usually unbuckle him at the ramp but I have to keep him in the car until the boats tied up at the dock. Then I park the truck and put his life jacket on before walking down,
Him unbuckled with the windows down is still better than in strapped a car seat. With your situation there is no perfect answer.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Actually a good point. When I have my 4 year old, he always wants to sit up front in the passenger seat (because to him that's special, he never gets to otherwise) so I unbuckle him from the car seat and let him sit in the front seat next to me while I back the boat. Then we walk down after parking and he dons the life jacket on the dock before getting in the boat.

Interesting post, never thought about it, but makes sense.

·
Chef Al
112 Posts
Shiver me timbers!

Capt'n Ahab sez ye should have'em learned to cast off and snug lines n such. No skylarkin' nor swingin' of boat hooks like a landsman. Prime the bulb, lower the motor, rig the rods, make all ship shape or it's a lesson in keel-haulin' they'll be havin'. :mad:

That's how Dad solved this dilemma. :notworthy:

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
I always tied my little ones to the side of the boat, they make great bumpers! lol jk Great advise guys.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
We just put em in the car seat and strap em inside the boat before we leave home. We get some weird looks at the gas station though. :tt2:

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I have never seen this discussed before so I figure I will start a thread addressing it. No matter how busy a ramp is or how convenient it is, NEVER NEVER NEVER back your vehicle down a boat ramp with kids strapped in car seats. We all see the pictures of vehicles going in the drink at the boat ramp and laugh and say "I would never do that". It would not be as funny if the person had a toddler strapped in the back.

The first time we took my son out on the boat, we pulled up to the ramp and I told my wife to get out and take him with her. She looked at me like I was crazy until I explained. Then she said "Wow!, I never would have thought of that". Now we have two kids and it is more inconvenient for her but she does it without thinking. I will say that I have never witnessed this happen but, like many other people, I never would have noticed it until three years ago when I had a child of my own. It has a tendency of changing your perspective.

Man i bet you got some good dinner and lovin later that night!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts