Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy seth headed out early sunday morning in search for some aj's. Seth plays baseball in california and was only in town for a few days, so we decided to go for a few big fish instead of a bunch of smaller fish. We hit the pass sunday morning around 6 to unbelievably flat seas and bait all over the top of the water. we are heading south to our first spot when we found our first weedline which was covered with chicken dolphin. we only had one rod rigged up with light tackle so i was the only one catching them then. ended up with 5 off that weedline, and kept heading south. get to our first spot and ajs and snapper are all over the surface, circling the the boat, just stupid how many there were. we end up catching 11 ajs and 5 snapper off that whole, all ajs were legal size but we only kept one off that hole. head to our next spot and same situation, fish everywhere. we caught 8 ajs and 3 snapper off that hole and released all of them. by this time it was about 11 and we decided to head to one of my deeper spots to look for a big fish to add to the box for our 2nd aj. one we got in about 200 feet of water we decided to put out a few trollers hoping to get a wahoo. we are pulling up to the spot planing on trolling over it before stopping to fish and my tiagra starts singing. it was my turn on the rod and after about a 5 minute fight a 70 lb aj is boatside getting a gaff stuck in him. this is my biggest aj to date, and that was my best day ever aj fishing, we caught 29 ajs by the end of the day. ended up catching 6 more chicken dolphin on the way in. total in the box was 2 ajs and 11 chicken dolphin.

reviving one

70 lber on the deck

the dolphins

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Good haul. Real nice Aj.

·
Registered
332 Posts
nice fish, sounds like they were trying to jump in the boat from the report.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Great post and pics! Keeper AJs have evaded us in past trips, but hoping to hit em like you guys did in the next trips. Congrats Wade on your AJ and tks again for the report ,
john

1 - 11 of 11 Posts