Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lewie and I arrived at our camp in north Okaloosa well before daylight Thursday morning. At about 5:45 AM I tried a few soft calls to locate any gobblers within hearing. One hammered out only about 100 yards from us and two more several hundred yards out. We quickly moved into position, placed our decoys, and set up where we thought was a good location. The gobbler was cuttin loose with every owl hoot, woodpecker, or yelps from my slate. We both thought our morning hunt had a good chance of being a short one. At 6:25 he flew down and went silent. It's been my experience that most times this means he is coming in, so we watched and waited. Thirty minutes later we had not seen or heard him. A gobble 200 yards down the creek told me that he had decided to move on and take his business elsewhere. Don't think he made us. You never know for sure. That's just turkey hunting. We hunted the rest of the day bdfore frying up some red snapper for dinner and sitting around the camp fire swapping stories. Friday morning we were up and out early as at lest six different gobblers were sounding off along the creek bottoms. Again things looked pretty good, but by 9:00 AM and no luck,I went back to the camp house to plan out what to try next. Darned if several turkeys didn't take off flying only 25 yards from the cabin. While we are out tramping the woods hunting turkeys, they are hanging out at the camp. Lewie came in and I told him what was going on and we decided to ease down in the direction they flew and give it one last try for this trip. I went down along the creek while Lewie stayed up on the ridge and found a good place to set up. The idea was that if a gobbler was working his way along the creek I might drive him up towards Lewie. We both did some calling with no results. A pesky woodpecker was flying around making all kinds of racket. He must have gotten too close to a gobbler because at 10:30 he cut loose with a loud shock gobble. Lewie said it felt like it shook the ground it was so close. He slowly turned his head in that direction and the gobbler was in full strut at only 25 yards. While he strutted behind a thick bush Lewie managed to raise his shotgun and popped him when he appeared on the other side. Pretty nice bird with a 9 1/2 beard. Probably a two year old. Wound up getting him only a few yards from where one gave us the slip yesterday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts