Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny story.
Arrived at Henderson beach @9am and began to setup 3 rods. There was one guy East of me so I gave him some room. Before I get all 3 out another guy shows up and sets up between us. He comes over to me and asks me how far out he needs to cast and I reply, not sure as its my first day fishing this season. He also asks what weight lead I was using, 2 ounce I reply. He says thanks and proceeds to setup his one rig. Now I didnt want to get my shorts wet so I just went knee deep and casted. He went out chest deep and slings it way out there. So 4 or 5 hours go by with nary a sniff. I notice his wife is there now and it looks like he is gone but then realize he has reclined his beach chair flat and is covered with a towel napping while his wife is reading a book. I look back later on and notice his rod getting bumped so I start yelling at him. Then it gets slammed so I start running over to him yelling to him (thinking he is going to lose the rod). He wakes up and proceeds to reel in the largest pompano I have ever seen (I worked at a seafood market for many years back before the net ban so I have seen some pretty big pompano). It looked so big in the water I thought it was a king (yea I know, too early). I stayed another 30 minutes or so with nothing. To add insult to injury, some suntanner comes to see the fish and as he passes me, he says "That guy had one rod to your three and still outfished you". Ha!
Sorry, no pics nor measurements. I would estimate over 6 pounds but my arm is out of calibration currently.
Cheers.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Funny story! Thanks for sharing...I knew a guy once that would go out to the bouys and catch cobia on rusty hooks with cut bait....just didn't seem fair. If you get a pic please post.

·
Super Moderator
27,951 Posts
Yeah that's a gooden....Maybe you should have told him to use a bobber and no weight! hahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts