Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing stellar but I have been really enjoying fishing with my son. Pompano have been basically 1-2 each evening. The redfish have been picking up and kind of making it hard to catch pomps.
We finally started to see some sand flea colonies and the bigger ones have been almost instant redfish.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice. Which beach are you going to? Everything around Pensacola is closed...not trying to take your spot, just trying to get fishing!

·
Super Moderator
28,310 Posts
Great pic of that youngin and the sunset.... Way ta make memories!!!

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Holy Redfish, Batman!

Nice one! Those beach Redfish sure are pale. They look like albinos compared to the reds in the Withlacoochee River. I loved to surf fish up there in the early 60's.

Beach renourishment sucks. Let nature take it's course. Too many damn condos and hotels anyhow. We need a good hurricane to hit down around Bonita Springs and come on up to Mississippi. Take everything withing 10 miles of the coast and scatter it 10-50 miles offshore. Blasphemy, of course, but we sure have a terrible mess up there these days. Ya'll would have loved Destin 60 years ago. What a clusterfunction there these days.

We used to make Coquina broth real often. Not for me anymore. Sand fleas sometimes were a painintheass when collecting Coquinas. Coquina broth was the perfect stock for chowders.

Crystal River/Yanketown is becoming fubar these days. I wouldn't swim in Kings Bay on Crystal River for all the tea in China these days. Imagine dumping the municipal sewage plant int what was pristine waters. Development sucks.

I have now completed my morning rant.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one! Those beach Redfish sure are pale. They look like albinos compared to the reds in the Withlacoochee River. I loved to surf fish up there in the early 60's.

Beach renourishment sucks. Let nature take it's course. Too many damn condos and hotels anyhow. We need a good hurricane to hit down around Bonita Springs and come on up to Mississippi. Take everything withing 10 miles of the coast and scatter it 10-50 miles offshore. Blasphemy, of course, but we sure have a terrible mess up there these days. Ya'll would have loved Destin 60 years ago. What a clusterfunction there these days.

We used to make Coquina broth real often. Not for me anymore. Sand fleas sometimes were a painintheass when collecting Coquinas. Coquina broth was the perfect stock for chowders.

Crystal River/Yanketown is becoming fubar these days. I wouldn't swim in Kings Bay on Crystal River for all the tea in China these days. Imagine dumping the municipal sewage plant int what was pristine waters. Development sucks.

I have now completed my morning rant.
I think about the "Good Ol'days" all the time. I am 35. Spent most of my life in the panhandle. You must be about twice my age given your recalling of Destin in the 60's.
Something I always try and remember is that everyday is someone else's "Good Ol'day". For my son, who is 6, that may be today, this week, this month, or next year.
Times are changing and it seems that nostalgic memories always seem to paint a better picture than present day.
But it's not all doom and gloom. For redfish, they very well might be thriving now in the good old days. While the bay fishing for skinny water fish may be just a fragment of what it was just 10 years ago, the dang bull red fishing has never been better.
As far as pollution goes, it only seems to be getting worse. The only thing I have there is to try and lead by example and everybody does their part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts