Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First we run dogs in Carolina , I usally wait till after the rut to start dog hunt down there. well today I shot a really nice doe, with against my better judgment( not trying to start a caliber war here) my 7mm mag . I sent a 139grn hornady softpoint straight up her tailpipe came out a gaping wound the size fo a baseball in her chest. Now is the damnedest thing ,she never flinched or acted hit I tracked an easy to see blood trail for 2 hours and nearly 1/2 mile before I found her. the dogs were not on her after the shot,anyone else ever seen something like this?

chris

·
Super Moderator
28,937 Posts
Chris,I did the same in reverse order....I shot a nannie dead center of her chest and it came straight out her rear hole but she did not run a foot....I'm shooting a 7-08 with Winchester 140 balistic silvertips...All my deer have dropped in their tracks this year using this round....Furthest shot being about 200-225 yards:letsdrink

Don't understand what happened in your case...strong willed deer I guess....:doh

·
Registered
189 Posts
It was a ghost just like that White Buff out on the plains...you got some bad ju ju comin brother:crying

hahaha That is strange though...one tough sob!

CurtyV

·
Registered
8 Posts
well I've seen something even more weird A guy at my uncle's hunting club shot a 10 point in the neck with a 50cal muzzleloader during muzzleloading week only thedeer was never found one month later the same guy shot the same deer onthe same food plot.The guy finally killed thedeer 7mm mag.All the meat wasno good the woundhad infection. Deer are alot stronger thanpeople give themcredit for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's crazy, I used to use the Ballistic tips but never again willI spend my money on them.

They have 0 controlled expansion and they desinegrate on impact. Especially on shots over 200+ yard because the bullet has had time to start slowing down and they create more energy.However i have killed several deer inside on 100 yards with the B. tips.I guess everyone has their persona preference. I found and recovered several good deer that had been shot with ballistic tips and there was never and exit wound and I would loose blood trail after a short distance. When I would find the deer the shot was all over the vitals. Huh.. go figure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts