Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday nite-Friday early morn. Left around 6 PM to try some nite fishing for red snapper (Alabama guys) and whatever else might bite. First spot undersized snappers with bottom machine not working. Worked fine while running and would guit when idling. Tried running engines up in neutral but not much help. Ran back up north to another area I had marked and started catching some legal size fish. Decided to anchor and my buddy butterflies the tail of a mullet and drips it to the bottom. Shortly, the line starts moving off and after a short time he sets the hook. Doesn’t have much shaking but a hard pull to bring up whatever he had. The weight breaks the water and I grab the leader with one hand and gaff in the other. I look down and this large red cloud breaks the water right next to boat. I couldn’t believe it was a red snapper at first; but stick a gaff into him and had another guy put in another gaff and we haul him over the side. He measured 36 inches and weighed 24.2 pounds on my electronic scale. A record for my 12 year old boat . Then the thunderstorms start popping up so we hightailed to shore. Later in the morning , after some rest, weighed it on a postal scale and got 24.2 # again. What a nite even if the number of fish wasn’t great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
That's gonna make several folks happy at dinner time! Congrats!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's gonna make several folks happy at dinner time! Congrats!
A lot of folks on here have said that big snapper don't taste good. Let me tell you; a couple of small fillets tasted as good as any I have ever had. I'll take one of these any day to 3-4 smaller ones!! :D,:D,:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts