Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
redrunner (3/21/2010)Here is your quote "

Do you know why there are not any boats allowed within 200' of the fishing pier or 200' of the old pier? It is because the competition between the anglers from the pier and on theboat will create a violent situation!!"

It sounds like you operated your boat less than 200ft from the pier, and then tried to argue that the FWC said you could. If thats the case I'm glad the ranger did his job. You got a boat, dont fish around people on the pier.:doh I paid $55 to fish that pier, if you want to fish it maybe you should pay $55 and come on the pier and enjoy your "rights".

Redrunner, I'd be happy to tell you where my boat was. First I would like to say that after my research I found out that MYSELF AND THE FWC I TALKED TO WAS WRONG AND LARRY EDWARDS WAS RIGHT. I would never lie or mislead anyone and I don't think I have. I had a problem with how Larry Edwards treated me when I asked him to clarify the situation for me.

Now back to your question. My boat was NOT within 200' of the fishing pier, I was on the east side of the old pier. There is a sign on the fishing pier that says stay 200' away, there is no sign on the old pier. At no time was I in any position that would effect anyone fishing from the pier as I was 300+ feet away and there was a big concrete pier between us.

This is my point. Do I think someone should park their boat 10' off the pier and start fishing? No I don't. I think that would be rude and inconsiderate to fellow fishermen and that's something I would never do. However do I think the federal government should take it upon themselves to make laws against it? Hell No!

Do you think the government should be involved in monitoring and mandatingcourtesy between fishermen? Do you redrunner? Do you johnsonbeachbum? How about you JLMass?

I drank the koolaid about all the "advantages" that the national parks give us too. And maybe my new outlook is wrong. But I got to know, and maybe JLMass or JBB or redrunner can help me with this. Why does the government need to have the power to close the Pensacola pass from boating and fishing traffic?

I am not singling you guys out as a personnal attack so please don't take it that way. I respect your opinions and am enjoying this disscussion.

We are trusting the federal government with the power that they have. How are the feds doing with the red snappers? How's that going for everybody?

·
Registered
807 Posts
spear em...once again you have it correct!!!!!!

not only can i not do what you do for 12 hours i do not want to. i prefer to fish for a living!

as for the park ranger...you may not pay is salary but i do and as long as i pay his salary i expect respect when he is talking to me or answering my questions and concerns.

now it sounds as though you maybe receiving your salary from the tax payers. if so i expect respect from you as well. if you cannot handle the fact you are paid by the tax payers find another job!!!!!

as far as a crutch...the truth is the truth! this is why capt matt posted this thread. the man in uniform was showing no respect to a tax paying citizen end of story.

oh by the way...care to share what you do for a living? if you do not i understand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt, you sound like a boater that is considerate to other fisherman. If you were on the east side of old pier that would not effect the fishing pier. But a lot of boaters are not considerate, I have been set up on the beach (east side of old pier) with lines out, and had boats come right up on me and look at me like I'm not supposed to be there. (thus the 200' from old pier rule)I have also been on the pier and had boats anchor on the north side of old pier, thats a break off for a good fish. We have even been cut off by boats coming by too close. Unfortunately a lot of boaters do not have your curtesy and common sense and need to be regulated by laws. If everyone used thier brain we wouldn't need these rules. I hate you were treated disrespectfully by the ranger, he should have been more profesional.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Matt Mcleod (3/21/2010)

Do you know why there are not any boats allowed within 200' of the fishing pier or 200' of the old pier? It is because the competition between the anglers from the pier and on theboat will create a violent situation!!"

It sounds like you operated your boat less than 200ft from the pier, and then tried to argue that the FWC said you could. If thats the case I'm glad the ranger did his job. You got a boat, dont fish around people on the pier.:doh I paid $55 to fish that pier, if you want to fish it maybe you should pay $55 and come on the pier and enjoy your "rights".

Redrunner, I'd be happy to tell you where my boat was. First I would like to say that after my research I found out that MYSELF AND THE FWC I TALKED TO WAS WRONG AND LARRY EDWARDS WAS RIGHT. I would never lie or mislead anyone and I don't think I have. I had a problem with how Larry Edwards treated me when I asked him to clarify the situation for me.

Now back to your question. My boat was NOT within 200' of the fishing pier, I was on the east side of the old pier. There is a sign on the fishing pier that says stay 200' away, there is no sign on the old pier. At no time was I in any position that would effect anyone fishing from the pier as I was 300+ feet away and there was a big concrete pier between us.

This is my point. Do I think someone should park their boat 10' off the pier and start fishing? No I don't. I think that would be rude and inconsiderate to fellow fishermen and that's something I would never do. However do I think the federal government should take it upon themselves to make laws against it? Hell No!

Do you think the government should be involved in monitoring and mandatingcourtesy between fishermen? Do you redrunner? Do you johnsonbeachbum? How about you JLMass?

I drank the koolaid about all the "advantages" that the national parks give us too. And maybe my new outlook is wrong. But I got to know, and maybe JLMass or JBB or redrunner can help me with this. Why does the government need to have the power to close the Pensacola pass from boating and fishing traffic?

I am not singling you guys out as a personnal attack so please don't take it that way. I respect your opinions and am enjoying this disscussion.

We are trusting the federal government with the power that they have. How are the feds doing with the red snappers? How's that going for everybody?

Fishing usually has alcohol involved at some point and the addition of this with fishing may lead to altercations in which it may be easier to keep fishermen away from each other then to tell them to stop drinking

they might need to close the pass to let a carrier or other large navy ship in

·
Registered
397 Posts
pmurphy (3/21/2010)Really??? I don't think gigging flounder can be compared to shooting a bison or a bald eagle. I'm from Mississippi and ......... rest of what you said im not talking about .............

yes it can, and i just did

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Very interesting thoughts from you guys. I guess I just feel differently about it.

So redrunner, you do thinks its the gov job to regulate courtesy between fishermen? You're willing to surrender yourfreedom for this?

And JLMass, I would agrue there is a BIG difference in giving a military ship a wide berth to navigate inland waterways and having the power toclose the pass and miles of surrounding water from boating and fishing activity. I notice that in your signiture there are people from history who fought for freedom and people who fought to take freedom, until now I thought I knew which ones you viewed in a positive light. What does freedom mean to you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt Mcleod (3/22/2010)Very interesting thoughts from you guys. I guess I just feel differently about it.

So redrunner, you do thinks its the gov job to regulate courtesy between fishermen? You're willing to surrender yourfreedom for this?

And JLMass, I would agrue there is a BIG difference in giving a military ship a wide berth to navigate inland waterways and having the power toclose the pass and miles of surrounding water from boating and fishing activity. I notice that in your signiture there are people from history who fought for freedom and people who fought to take freedom, until now I thought I knew which ones you viewed in a positive light. What does freedom mean to you?
I'm not surrendering any freedom, I dont have a boat and if I did I wouldnt go anywhere near the pier.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
redrunner (3/22/2010)
Matt Mcleod (3/22/2010)Very interesting thoughts from you guys. I guess I just feel differently about it.

I'm not surrendering any freedom, I dont have a boat and if I did I wouldnt go anywhere near the pier.

Ok, lets put the shoe on the other foot. No fishing from land within 200' of the old pier or any of the jetty's at Fort Pickens. This is neccessary to avoid violence between anglers on the shore and anglers on boats.

This would not effect me because I fish from a boat. However I have a serious problem with this because it takes away someone's freedom, might not be mine this time, but it doesn't matter to me causefreedom lost is freedom lost.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
JLMass (3/22/2010)
Matt Mcleod (3/21/2010)
Fishing usually has alcohol involved at some point and the addition of this with fishing may lead to altercations in which it may be easier to keep fishermen away from each other then to tell them to stop drinking
Lucas, you're smarter than this buddy! Do you really view fishermen, or American's in general for that matter, as drunken, violent, animals that must be protected from themselves by the government??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt Mcleod (3/22/2010)
redrunner (3/22/2010)

Ok, lets put the shoe on the other foot. No fishing from land within 200' of the old pier or any of the jetty's at Fort Pickens. This is neccessary to avoid violence between anglers on the shore and anglers on boats.

This would not effect me because I fish from a boat. However I have a serious problem with this because it takes away someone's freedom, might not be mine this time, but it doesn't matter to me causefreedom lost is freedom lost.

The shoe is already on the other foot, there are rules that say I cant shorefish from a boat landing. And since that makes sense to me, I accept it, and go to a fishing pier instead. Why do people with boats, that can go anywhere in the bay and gulf insist on fishing right on top of land based fisherman? Is the fishing that much better by the pier? Then save gas $$ and come on out to the pier. See, you have both options, thats alot of freedom.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Matt, I stopped going to all national parks a long time ago. I have had run-ins with park rangers at Naval Live Oaks and Johnson Beach a long time ago for doing similar innocent things - like fishing after the sun goes down (not at night just after the sun sets). It always seemed crazy to me that the parks are only opened to fishermen from 8 am to sundown. Why are the parks closed to fishermen during the times that the fish usually bite?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Matt Mcleod (3/22/2010)
JLMass (3/22/2010)
Matt Mcleod (3/21/2010)

Lucas, you're smarter than this buddy! Do you really view fishermen, or American's in general for that matter, as drunken, violent, animals that must be protected from themselves by the government??

it was around 2am i was not really thinking at that point ............. lets say not people who know what they are doing but people who have not been on the water long accidentally run into the pier or tourist who may not fish but once a year kinda thing, and im not saying fisherman are stupid but a drunk human being can be a violent animal for the thing that raises us above them is the ability to reason and its hard to reason when you get hammered from what i have seen

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Funny, I called and spoke to Chief Jordan last year about flounder gigging and he told me I was fine as long as I stayed away from the jetties and the pier..........sheeesh

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Matt Mcleod (3/21/2010)

Do you think the government should be involved in monitoring and mandatingcourtesy between fishermen? Do you johnsonbeachbum? <U>No, I do not, but you can thank a few people in the past, (visitors, tourist, fishermen, boaters, etc.) for the loss of your unmonitored and unmandated courtesies.</U>

I drank the koolaid about all the "advantages" that the national parks give us too. And maybe my new outlook is wrong. But I got to know, and maybe JLMass or JBB or redrunner can help me with this. Why does the government need to have the power to close the Pensacola pass from boating and fishing traffic? <U>Someone government agency is going to have the power to do so if deemed appropriate. Maybe it should be Homeland Security?</U>
<U>P.S. the 200 foot rule applies to both the new fishing pier as well as the old pier structure.</U>

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Dylan (3/21/2010)I was on the boat with Matt...Larry was mad at us
So now explain why he was mad.

Tell us "the rest of the story"

·
Registered
778 Posts
All the times I have talked with Matt and Dylan they have both been curteous and easy going. There is no "rest of the story". They just encountered someone who wanted to throw their weight around.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
From what has been posted, apparently they had their boat within 200 feet of the old pier.

Just because there are no signs on the old pier does not mean the rule is suspended. Just like fishing rules are enforced even though there are no signs posted every 100 feet all over the gulf.

I imagine Edwards made an effort to inform them that they would have to move off their spot until they were outside the 200 feet.

In a subsequent post the statement is:

"I had a problem with how Larry Edwards treated me when I asked him to clarify the situation for me."

Maybe Edwards did not like the words used or the tone or manner in the way they were presented. Or he just didn't want to spend anytime explaining why they were being told to move off.

We do not know anything more detailed as to why Edwards was even talking to them other than they were too close to the old pier.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts