Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a bit of a show called "Solo Hunter" on the Outdoor Channel. They were running mountain lions with dogs... now, is it just me, or am I the only one pulling for the cat to jump out of the tree and maul the shit out of all these "hunters"? They literally had dogs run this cat up a tree and he shot it with a bow from maybe 10 yards... High fence hunting is more sporting than this!

not really that impressed.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just watched a bit of a show called "Solo Hunter" on the Outdoor Channel. They were running mountain lions with dogs... now, is it just me, or am I the only one pulling for the cat to jump out of the tree and maul the shit out of all these "hunters"? They literally had dogs run this cat up a tree and he shot it with a bow from maybe 10 yards... High fence hunting is more sporting than this!

Running cats with dogs is pretty much how it's done. Cats are so elusive that without the aid of dogs there is almost no chance of taking a big cat. You know that folks use dogs to hunt a number of animals and birds right?:whistling:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
John B. said:

Yeah I'm with you on that. My 5 yr old could bag one on one of those hunts....

·
Super Moderator
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running cats with dogs is pretty much how it's done. Cats are so elusive that without the aid of dogs there is almost no chance of taking a big cat. You know that folks use dogs to hunt a number of animals and birds right?:whistling:
yeah, but even ray charles could shoot a cat in a tree at 10 steps! that's all i'm saying.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I think cat hunting and out west bear hunting done with dogs is more about the chase than the kill. If they showed what they had to do to get to the tree'd cat you might feel a little different or maybe not but I know I'm not in good enough shape to run dogs for a cat or bear.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Did they eat the cat?? If not, and it wasnt attacking you or your livestock....but thats just me. Things I hunt I usually put in a pot right side of the carrots and potato's.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i'd love to see a show with a good cat track. read about it - never seen it. personally i think it would be pretty awesome. and like already posted, it's not so much about the actual kill shot as the tracking and hunting of the quarry. my .02.

donut slayer - been seeing some articles in recent years about the mountain lions expanding there ranges and venturing closer and closer to towns and neighborhoods. i have no idea where this show was filmed, but i don't think it's a bad idea to keep them thinned out a little in the areas with high populations of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'd love to see a show with a good cat track. read about it - never seen it. personally i think it would be pretty awesome. and like already posted, it's not so much about the actual kill shot as the tracking and hunting of the quarry. my .02.
I mean they definitely walk a long way... a lot farther than my fat ass would. it just seems like a lot of effort for an ending that isn't too exciting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bills right on the money with his thoughts. My home place is 20 miles north of one of the most well known dry ground lion hunters in the southwest, Warner Glenn. A hunt with Warner will test your stamina and will. Miles on a mule, maybe a few on foot to get to the tree, and the lion might not be there when you arrive. It's not everyones cup of tea, and Im in that cup, just couldn't bring myself to shoot a treed animal. Im a predator caller, so my pleasure comes from calling a lion, which Ive accomplished twice, killing the first, and letting the second pass, one lion in a lifetime, is enough for me, a beautiful cat they are. Ortega once opined that," I don't hunt to kill, I kill, to have hunted", that capsulizes what dry ground dog hunting for lion and bear is about.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Bills right on the money with his thoughts. My home place is 20 miles north of one of the most well known dry ground lion hunters in the southwest, Warner Glenn. A hunt with Warner will test your stamina and will. Miles on a mule, maybe a few on foot to get to the tree, and the lion might not be there when you arrive. It's not everyones cup of tea, and Im in that cup, just couldn't bring myself to shoot a treed animal. Im a predator caller, so my pleasure comes from calling a lion, which Ive accomplished twice, killing the first, and letting the second pass, one lion in a lifetime, is enough for me, a beautiful cat they are. Ortega once opined that," I don't hunt to kill, I kill, to have hunted", that capsulizes what dry ground dog hunting for lion and bear is about.

I would love to give chase to a Mountain Lion. I have a friend that was from out west and he would talk about it. He said it was a multi day deal most of the time. I don't know if I could shoot one that was treed but it would sure be alot of fun getting it treed.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I am with you After I chase down my donut, I put it down with a pot of coffee ;) sorry couldn't resist

Did they eat the cat?? If not, and it wasnt attacking you or your livestock....but thats just me. Things I hunt I usually put in a pot right side of the carrots and potato's.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You don't have to shoot the treed lion. You pay for the experience of the hunt and to get a lion treed. What you do as a client when arriving at the tree, is your choice, you can sit and watch it or snap a few photos. The guide has no problem with a client not killing the lion, actually, it just provides a future successful hunt for the next client and another pay check for the guide.
They are something to see, and at least in Arizona, are becoming more plentiful. I would hazzard, Ive seen and called more lion in the last ten years, than the 30 prior.
Lion is actually not bad eating, white meat, like bobcat, they both eat similar to pork, andmost hunters keep the carcass to eat or give to someone who wants it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

not really that impressed.
I bet if you tried it sometime you might think differently. I've never done it either but know that it isn't as simple as putting out a few dogs and casually strolling to the treed cat to shoot it. It's also a hell of a lot more ethical and sporting than putting out a bunch of dogs to run a deer past a dozen or more "standers" so they can blast at them as they run by hoping you get a good shot and it drops.

You got to see one track with one cat killed. You didn't see the multiple tracks that didn't pan out or the days and days of looking for a mature tom to kill.

I mean they definitely walk a long way... a lot farther than my fat ass would. it just seems like a lot of effort for an ending that isn't too exciting.
I don't regard sitting in a treestand waiting on a deer to walk by so I can shoot it all that exciting either but as others have said it isn't all about the shot.

How many coyotes have you (or any one else) killed over the years? Did you eat any of them? A cougar is a predator just like a coyote or bear and their numbers have to be controlled just like the rest of them. Just ask the tree huggers in California if cougars can become over populated and a threat to humans.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Folks run with dogs to enjoy the chase. The kill may or may not be the end of the chase. We run rabbits with beagles and we shoot a few and eat a few, but we do it to run the dogs mostly. **** hunters don't shoot every one they chase, just enough to keep the dogs interested usually. You can chase and release these animals, but you can't shoot and release a deer.

A cat hunt wouldn't interest me (the killing at least) but hearing the dogs at bay is special.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Oh and it's not a hunting show but that "River Monsters" show is a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'd love to see a dog deer hunting show. Not some ******** bumpy home video. A well made fit for tv Dog Deer hunting vid. The CB talk, Redbird lingo, if its brown its down attitude would crack me up!!!
Dead serious....I hope someone does this soon if it's not already on the works.
There are all kinds of hunting shows, why not a Dog Deer chase show??

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
I don't watch any of the hunting shows. To me, hunting is not a spectator sport. It's something that you do, not watch.
I think there are too many opportunists making a buck off of the sport and I want no part of it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You know that folks use dogs to hunt a number of animals and birds right?:whistling:
:thumbsup: You mean all these crates in the back of the trucks down here are for hunters that use dogs to pursue live animals and then kill them? Perish the thought. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts