Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give the catfish rods a rest until next year and break out all the crappie rigs. We only trolled a few hours this morning and probably caught 15-20 but we only kept these. Wind was in full force so it limited a few spots on the lake, but the specks are everywhere out there.

Attachments

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just a cheap plain pvc rod holder we built after my June boating incident :whistling:. Not much too and it's designed for catfishing (rod tips up) so I wasn't sure how it would work for trolling for crappie. Our old rolder holders were adjustable so you could tilt the rod tips down and closer to the water when we were crappie fishing and upward when catfishing. Most people like for their rod tips to be parallel with the surface of the water. This allows them to keep a good idea of how deep they're letting their jigs/baits run. This is very important when crappie fishing because they WON'T feed down! This time of the year the specks are basically scattered across the lake, so all you have to do it cover water. Just keep an eye on your depth finder for fish and try to troll with your baits at that depth.

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. I love me some dang ol' crappy! Have you tried dropping back a crankbait or two?
No not yet. I've got a few crappie cranks, but I just can't muster up the courage to try one. Just too many hang ups... I might try it when it gets really cold and they go into pre-spawn. I might could get away with one of them cranks in the channels.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Yeah, it's stumpy in there. I don't use crappie crankbaits though. I catch 'em all on bass lures. Found out the crappie love 'em, on accident. Tried both sizes all day on Talquin. Caught every fish on a cotton cordell grappler shad. Done this with crappie/bass in Talquin and Seminole. Plus, you never know, could get a surprise bass or striper, even catfish...don't use 6lb test lol.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,242 Posts
crappie

Sure do Cathunter. Just yesterday I was looking at the map and roads to the area. . I haven't made it over there yet but I'm going to do it if I have to go by myself like I did to Ocheesee.

Tomorrow me and buddy planto fish specks and reds in a place on the Choctaw Bay we haven't fished before. Getting reports big specks are hitting trolled lures. Not sure how the cold front coming in tonight will impact the bite. Usually it's better to wait a couple of days, but I'm one that goes when when the urge hits, and the urge has hit.

·
Valued Member
4,178 Posts
Sure do Cathunter. Just yesterday I was looking at the map and roads to the area. . I haven't made it over there yet but I'm going to do it if I have to go by myself like I did to Ocheesee.

Tomorrow me and buddy planto fish specks and reds in a place on the Choctaw Bay we haven't fished before. Getting reports big specks are hitting trolled lures. Not sure how the cold front coming in tonight will impact the bite. Usually it's better to wait a couple of days, but I'm one that goes when when the urge hits, and the urge has hit.
Id say you may have good timing. This cold front will be a few days old by then, add in the Big moon with the rising tide and I think you will be pleased with the way the conditions will work out. Take some good pics for us Walt.

Tyler is over there just having a blast.

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Id say you may have good timing. This cold front will be a few days old by then, add in the Big moon with the rising tide and I think you will be pleased with the way the conditions will work out. Take some good pics for us Walt.

Tyler is over there just having a blast.
Haha what do you mean by that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts