1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
516 Posts
That is terrible. Too close to home, I launch at Coe regularly.

I am surprised it didn't happen while running, that side of the lake is littered with stumps. Must have been an overloaded boat if I had to guess.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wear one those flat inflatable pfd's ALL the time when running and 90% when just fishing. Might be a good idea to make that 100% of the time. You don't even realize you are wearing it except maybe in extreme hot weather. The survivor will no doubt help determine the cause of the accident.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I wear one those flat inflatable pfd's ALL the time when running and 90% when just fishing. Might be a good idea to make that 100% of the time. You don't even realize you are wearing it except maybe in extreme hot weather. The survivor will no doubt help determine the cause of the accident.
With a water activated PFD, what happens if the boat flips over and you're trapped underneath?

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I suppose you drown just like with any other type of vest or coat type.....unless you can unhook it and exit from under the boat. With water temps getting down in low 50's now and soon lower your time in the water will be limited anyway when hypothermia sets in.
All us old codgers would be in a world of hurt out in open water unless rescue was soon. I could never get back in my boat alone although I can swim.....but how far? That's the question. It's not easy swimming with any kind of pfd tied to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sad story, things can go bad so quick. I fell off a bass boat last year in a calm lake, happened so quick. Will be wearing an auto inflator life vest whenever I go out now. Why I do not go offshore anymore alone

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
I fell in some 50 degree water about 30 years ago - popped back out like one of those penguins hopping out of the sea. Now not so much - cold water scares me!!

·
Banned
253 Posts
With a water activated PFD, what happens if the boat flips over and you're trapped underneath?
I'd say you climb out from underneath and swim to the surface. Life jackets only provide 20ish pounds of buoyancy. I don't think that's enough to pin a grown man anywhere he doesn't want to be.

·
Banned
253 Posts
All us old codgers would be in a world of hurt out in open water unless rescue was soon. I could never get back in my boat alone although I can swim.....but how far? That's the question. It's not easy swimming with any kind of pfd tied to you.
Have you ever thought about getting one of these? My dad installed one on his Skeeter, and I think it's a great bit of insurance.

At least you know you'd be able to climb back on the boat. If you keep a towel and a rain suit in a dry bag, you should at least be able to make it back to the ramp. (It would probably ruin your whole day of fishing, though...)

·
OutdoorsMan4Life
491 Posts
Sad story, I feel for them
I had a client fall in 37 degree water one morning, leaning over the side to rinse his hands off, air temp was around 20, by the time I got him back to the marina, about a 4 mile run, he had the shakes, blue lips and his clothes were frozen stiff and froze to his body, we had to put him in a luke warm bath just to get his clothes off.
Cold water is no joke, it will take you out !
Wear a life vest !

·
OutdoorsMan4Life
491 Posts
Have you ever thought about getting one of these? My dad installed one on his Skeeter, and I think it's a great bit of insurance.

At least you know you'd be able to climb back on the boat. If you keep a towel and a rain suit in a dry bag, you should at least be able to make it back to the ramp. (It would probably ruin your whole day of fishing, though...)
I have that same emergency ladder on my jack plate, you pull 1 pin and it slides down and gives you 2 steps, very small and out of the way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts