Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove all morning/day got here and checked in at Roland Martin's Marina. Out on the water in a rain/windstorm. It was like Pcola Bay! Got on the downside of wind and fished in a couple feet of water. Only caught 1 bass on a Googan worm in June Bug. Really weird fish around here, crap busting all over and threw everything and no bites. Thinking it was Oscar's... saw some big fish but think they were carp. Alot of gar and seen a few gators. Only fished a few hours but tomorrow it's on!!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!

Water Cloud Vertebrate Sky Fedora

·
Super Moderator
30,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was running around in my underwear outside and found these giant cane toads!!! Them jokers can piss about a gal!!!!
Was thinking about bringing a few home but they are invasive and poisonus to critters sooooo ill leave em down here!!!

Bird Terrestrial animal Beak Bird of prey Falconiformes
True toad Asphalt Toad Road surface Frog
Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Finger Serpent

·
Registered
333 Posts
Licking Toads Leaves More Than a Bad Taste in the Mouth : Trends: It may indeed be a 'desperation high,' but licking a toad is the latest way to hallucinate.

Licking Toads Leaves More Than a Bad Taste in the Mouth : Trends: It may indeed be a ‘desperation high,’ but licking a toad is the latest way to hallucinate.
I hear it's an "acquired taste".

Licking toads will not give you warts or produce a fairy prince, but it might get you high.

It isn’t exactly an epidemic, but the Drug Enforcement Administration says toad licking is the latest way to hallucinate.

“It sounds like a fairy tale gone wrong, doesn’t it?” said Robert K. Sager, chief of the DEA’s laboratory in San Francisco. “Now, I don’t think this is going to be a great problem because people don’t go around licking toads as a habit.”

The culprit: the Cane toad.

“They’re beautiful toads,” Sager said. “People like them.”

The Cane toad, which can grow to the size of a dinner plate, produces a toxin called bufotenine, which the toad secretes to ward off predators. When licked raw or cooked, the toxin acts as a hallucinogen.

In the Southwest recently, several dogs have died after eating Cane toads, and the DEA has had bufotenine turn up at its research labs from time to time after drug arrests.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Very cool trip. A bunch of tilapia down there, we called en Nile Perch way back when and used to shoot 'em on the bed with the bows by the boatload. I fished Headwaters about a month ago and did good on Z-Man jerk shads and big blue speed worms. Good luck!

Reactions: Walton County

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Man that place is special. Get some live shiners and balloons as a bobber. Let that lively bastard swim under some Lilly pads and hold on.

Also the bream and crappie fishing is supposed to be wonderful

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Great trip. That is a big ol lake with a great and frustrating fishery.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Was running around in my underwear outside and found these giant cane toads!!! Them jokers can piss about a gal!!!!
Was thinking about bringing a few home but they are invasive and poisonus to critters sooooo ill leave em down here!!!

View attachment 1092283 View attachment 1092284 View attachment 1092285
Hey while your down there might as well run up in some shallow water and get a big pleco in your hands to take a pic with. Go ahead and freak some more out.LOL. Hit some cannels while ya'll are down there!

·
Super Moderator
30,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday wasn't horrible....Logan is having so.e bad luck, I've at least caught a variety and biggest bass so far was caught on a crappie jig!!! Seen a crap ton of gators, caught 1 (same one by me and logan) that was tangled up in my libe and broke off when trying to clean it off so logan caught it again so we could clean him off and send him back. Had a manatee come up to the boat bit quickly dissappear before getting a shot. A 12 ft gator was near by so I figured it didn't want to stick around. Caught a iguana on a trick worm...Had a bad ass air boat tour come by and we were in a small canal when he was slowly passingbis i waved at him and told him to kick it in gear....boy howdy that thing bout blew me outta the boat!!!! today we are trying the Monkey Box...everyone we talk to is having a hard time so I know it's not just us!
Water Shorts Vertebrate Bermuda shorts Outdoor recreation
Water Sky Cloud Watercraft Shorts
Water Sky Shorts Boat Lake
Water Sky Hat Vertebrate Smile
Glasses Sky Cloud Water Vision care
Water Muscle Leg Shorts Eyewear
Water Cloud Sky Plant Dog
Water Sky Cloud Shorts Lake
Water Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses Lake
Water Sky Vertebrate Lake Goggles
Water Shorts Vertebrate Bermuda shorts Outdoor recreation
Water Sky Cloud Watercraft Shorts
Water Sky Shorts Boat Lake
Water Sky Hat Vertebrate Smile
Glasses Sky Cloud Water Vision care
Water Muscle Leg Shorts Eyewear
Water Cloud Sky Plant Dog
Water Sky Cloud Shorts Lake
Water Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses Lake
Water Sky Vertebrate Lake Goggles

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's a south Florida slam for sure!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
looks like the invasive species are thriving. cane toads ( a pellet gun and shot to the head is how i killed those) iguanas, armored catfish, mayan cichlids...maybe you'll put a python in the boat before you leave.

thank God it gets cold enough up here to kill the above mentioned off.

i hope you and your boy both put a trophy bass in the boat before you leave!

·
Super Moderator
30,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looks like the invasive species are thriving. cane toads ( a pellet gun and shot to the head is how i killed those) iguanas, armored catfish, mayan cichlids...maybe you'll put a python in the boat before you leave.

thank God it gets cold enough up here to kill the above mentioned off.

i hope you and your boy both put a trophy bass in the boat before you leave!
What I thought were tilapia were the Mayan cichlids but I did catch some good size tilapia in my cast net today....destroyed my cast net!!! Caught an armored catfish today in it today too its actually called a brown hoplo. We did not catch a dern thing on a line today. And we started to head out and a massive storm is coming in so if it comes through quick enough we might head out tonight fer a few hours. Caught what I thought was a baby iguana but my ID app says it's a humble angle. Just glad it's humble. . Hahaha
Shorts Sunglasses Sky Bermuda shorts Outdoor recreation
Vertebrate Sunglasses Water Shorts Plant
Shorts Plant Water Food Fisherman
Hand Glove Automotive tire Gesture Finger
Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin Fishing
Reptile Scaled reptile Lizard Finger Terrestrial animal
Insect Reptile Arthropod Wood Lizard
Hand Arthropod Insect Pollinator Finger

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Never heard of an armored catfish??
I know the one eely looking thing is a snakehead.
I would likely crap myself if I reeled in a gator! cut the line and sacrifice the bait and hook.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts