Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not florida but figured some of ya'll may have experience fishing this lake from a boat or kayak. It's the closest striper fishery to Auburn that I'm aware of and need something big to pull on a line. I'm familiar with lake striper fishing but my experience is limited to a handful of trips to other lakes from a PB in Georgia. All advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
From what I've seen bass fishing Martin, we always got into more stripers towards the upper part of the lake on deep points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Like I said, we were always bass fishing. Grubs, top waters and crankbaits.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, we were always bass fishing. Grubs, top waters and crankbaits.

Gotcha. Know of any good places to launch a kayak on the north end? I've never even been to the lake so I'm at square zero.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Man I really don't. I'll call my cousin in the next day or so and see if he does.

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
Big stripers at the dam but I don't advise fishing it from a yak. Way to much current where the fish are. Kinda sketchy in a boat!

·
Enjoying Gods Creation
1,262 Posts
Loaded with big spots too. A rigs in the overflow is a good start for them and largmouth. Most striper angler's push up current and cast live baits in the outflow on the drift back.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big stripers at the dam but I don't advise fishing it from a yak. Way to much current where the fish are. Kinda sketchy in a boat!
The yak's the best I got unfortunately. It's an outback but if the dam is a little strong I'll probably stay away from that. I've caught stripes on lanier and we were just downlining live baits which is what I was planning on doing since it's so hot.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
Any dam on the coosa river has stripe. Right now would be the absolute best time. After June the fish start moving back down river till October when they run back up the river for their fall run and end up trapped at the dam.
Never fish martin. But I have heard some good things about big stripe. Pier Lights at night would be key. That's how I did it at smith lake.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't know if he will respond, but we have a new member on here that used to be a striper guide at Martin. I will point him to your question.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Lake Martin

My parents lived on lake martin for awhile. One great tactic is live bait with light line. Like 8lb test on a spinning reel. The best live bait is spot-tail minnows that are native to the lake. Just enough weight to get it down to where you see fish holding on the lcr. Fish the mouth of the sloughs in springtime and fall along the long gravel points. You will catch spotted bass, crappie, catfish, and stripes. We caught the spot-tailed minnows in glass minnow traps that an old guy gave my dad. The traps look like a gallon moonshine jug with some special holes in it. We baited the traps with dog food or bread.

You can put your kayak in at the HWY 280 Bridge. Its not far north of the bridge before the shoals and rocks start. I caught some stripe up there in April-May on big flukes and topwater early in the morning.

Martin is good, but the best fishing in that part of Alabama is on the Coosa River near Wetumpka. Especially from the kayak. Biggest spotted bass in the world live there.

Have fun,

NPRTCJM

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Yep. I fish the Coosa at Wetumpka and above the dam in Lake Jordan all the time.

I've never fished Martin from a yak. WAY too many drunk dumba$$es in powerboats on Martin for me. Sounds like a good way to end up dead! I dont even fish it in a boat after Memorial day.

As for the stripers, I have no tips. I have been trying for about 5 years to catch one. No luck. Everyone says to use live shad, but I cant find them either. Not at nettable depths at least.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Live shad on a drop line is the popular method this time of year. Fished with a guy a few weeks ago and he used cut shad as well. The stripers hit both. As the water continues to warm they will change patterns and seek the optimal depth for cool water and oxygen levels. You will be ok in yak during the week but it gets real crowded on summer weekends. Stripernut can help you.

REELGOOD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts