Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Louisana Man vacationing at Navarre Beach got a surprise when he caught this unusual Drillfish on a Gulp Shrimp jig while fishing the the seawall at the Navarre Bridge . . .

The Drillfish put up one heck of a fight but he eventually was able to land it. Not knowing the size limit or whether the season was open, he decided to release it, he didn't want any trouble with the FWCC!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Regardless, you see that pack on the bottom? That means its pregnant and you must release anyway. Great catch by the way.

I once hooked a 15" Michelin all terrain off the end of a dock but it sounded on me and I was unable to raise it in the deep (6ft) water and eventually the leader broke on an otherwise epic battle of man vs rubber

·
Super Moderator
28,163 Posts
Beautiful coloration....wish more:takephoto:takephoto:takephoto were taking and some measurements:banghead:doh:letsdrink

Wait a dern minute!!!! I thought it was ILLEGAL to bring it outta the water and pose w/ it:banghead:banghead:banghead

I'm calling FWC!!!!:poke:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
tunapopper (10/31/2009)Regardless, you see that pack on the bottom? That means its pregnant and you must release anyway. Great catch by the way.

I once hooked a 15" Michelin all terrain off the end of a dock but it sounded on me and I was unable to raise it in the deep (6ft) water and eventually the leader broke on an otherwise epic battle of man vs rubber
Hehe Chris I've lost the "Man vs. Rubber contest" about 4 times now!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
badazzchef (10/31/2009)
tunapopper (10/31/2009)Regardless, you see that pack on the bottom? That means its pregnant and you must release anyway. Great catch by the way.

Hehe Chris I've lost the "Man vs. Rubber contest" about 4 times now!
Usually when I lose the man VS rubber contest I just throw it aside and pretend I put it on and...........wait, are we talking about the same thing?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
:withstupid Btw Chris is right it is a Female bearing eggs and You did a good job returning it back unharmed!!!!:clap Great Catch:letsdrink

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">The Mod's should delete this post in fear that some government prick will get wind of it and put a bag limit and season on those........... That's why I never posted a picture of the elusive folding lawn chair Gag I snagged last year on the East side of three mile........:letsparty

·
Registered
548 Posts
My spatula fish turned out to be an endangered species . There just over a few hundred left in our local waters and there numbers are declining. these spectacular catches wont be here forever. We'll just have to tell tales to the grandkids about these magnificent coastal treasures.

:letsdrink

Capt Ollie ,

Bloody Waters Kayak Fishing Team

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
AS ALIGHT-SPORTFISHERMAN SUCK-UP I CAN'T BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW OFFENDED I AM BY YOUR WONTON DISREGARD FOR THE WELFARE OF ONE OF THE MEMBERS OF OUR TARGET SPECIES!!!!! EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A LEGAL CATCH, AT THIS VERY MOMENT I AM POSTING YOUR PICTURE ALONG WITH SOME VERY DISPARAGING COMMENTS ON EVERY LIGHT-SPORTFISHERMAN FORUM THAT I'M A MEMBER OF IN THE HOPE THAT THEY WILL ACCEPT ME AS A TRUE PIER FISHER..UH....I MEAN TRUE PEER FISHERMAN. ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY CAUGHT A LIGHTFISH, I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IF I EVER DID, I WOULD CERTAINLY NOT POST APICTURE ON THIS FORUM OF ME HOLDING IT AFTERTHE POINT THAT IHAD GAFFED IT, BLUDGONED IT, AND HAULED IT ASHORE!!:hoppingmad:hoppingmad:hoppingmad:poke

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have nothing to add here, just reading the funny comments.

BUT I have to say I love it when Boatjob posts on stuff, cause the picture in his sig will leave me transfixed everytime.

I find myself following each and every thread that he posts on, on this forum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
God blessed that girl and she is the reason guys do so many of the stupid things we do other than fishing, like work etc LOL

·
Registered
895 Posts
OMG, look how he's holding that thing. There's no way it will live if released. What's wrong with him? Doesn't he know anything? Hope he's not a captian for hire.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,972 Posts
You idiots! He posted the right species. If you were real fisherman you would know that is a juvenile, male Drillfish. The immature drill has not dropped yet and looks like a lens while in it's suspended stage. You all jump to conclusions in your 2 days of fishing experience and think you know everything.

What he needs to be bashed for is his improper handling of a protected species, as follows:

1) taking the fish out of water (to pose for a stinking, good for nothing picture)

2) not providing support to its abdomen

3) not wetting his hands sufficiently before handling

I hope you attempted to revive this fish for at least 45 minutes. If not, you are a cruel non-fisherman, who should surrender his license (though I doubt you have one), sell your gear and donate the proceeds to PETA (though I really doubt they need the $15 you'll get from the crap you fish with)..... just sayin

·
Registered
150 Posts
Better watch out for the mouth, I believe a gaff followed by a good billy clubbin mightve been needed if that Drillfish had a few more inches on her.

Did you call that bad boy in to avoid the fines:poke

1 - 20 of 24 Posts