Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned on fishing at my regular redfish spot tonight, but changed my mind on the way there. This decision was made when I had realized I left my rods at home:hehe:. Luckily I had my fly rod in the back of my cab. To the trout lights!!!

I headed to my favorite light and began to reacquaint myself with the ol' long rod, as I hadn't used it since last year. The fish on this particular light have been eagerly popping, but finicky to hit a bait. I had a good feeling that the fly rod would be just what the doctor ordered for these guys.

Long story short, I landed 31 trout, with ~20 being keepers, two being KW points, lost one around 25in, missed and lost many more, and caught one redfish. I left them biting.

Flies definitely matched the hatch.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
MAN!!!! I knew glass minnow was a staple of trout but couldn't get much luck as a bait as they died so fast after cast netting...

I guess I will have to incorporate a saltwater grade fly rod in my arsenal of lip ripping gear once I get a yak going!

That fly looks perfect! Is that hand tied or commercial? If commercial what is the trade name of it?

Brent

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skip the spendy saltwater flyrod setup if you just plan on using it on trout and other little inshore critters. I found the rod in my garage and bought a $30 Okuma reel at Academy. Perfect little six weight combo.

I tied the fly and it looked a fair bit better prior to ten trout. I started using an all white version, but it turned into a dust bunny after enough trout. It's just my version of an EP minnow/baitfish pattern. You can buy them commercially.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fished again last night. The fish were a little more picky than the night before and there wasn't as many bigger specimens. That's understandable given how much I pressured them the night before. I caught 20 trout and one red before moving on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts