Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I love my worksharp but also purchased a couple of 1000/6000 and 8000/10000 grit wet stones. Get on Youtube and search for how to sharpen a knife. It takes some patience but after some practice, you'll find you can easily get a knife sharp enough to shave with. A sharp knife is a great tool and a dull knife is a dangerous tool. I usually start my knives on the worksharp and then hone them on the wet stone. I did just order the leather strap for the worksharp too.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,568 Posts
I love my worksharp but also purchased a couple of 1000/6000 and 8000/10000 grit wet stones. Get on Youtube and search for how to sharpen a knife. It takes some patience but after some practice, you'll find you can easily get a knife sharp enough to shave with. A sharp knife is a great tool and a dull knife is a dangerous tool. I usually start my knives on the worksharp and then hone them on the wet stone. I did just order the leather strap for the worksharp too.
My dads trade was a butcher his whole life, the man can sharpen a knife like ive never seen anywhere else. He used fine wet stones and ceramic rods. I could never get em as sharp as he can. I use to bring him my knives years ago to get him to sharpen em, he’d ask “how sharp you want em? sharp or f’n sharp?” Lol, I always told him “sharp is sharper than I can get em and that’ll be fine”! Lol

NWTF is a SHAM! Change my mind!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Please, please, please never use that on a knife. Most knives only require stropping unless there are nicks in the edge. Those knives are worth exactly what you value them at. I use my 2x72 vs grinder to sharpen, I'd offer to sharpen for you, but my VFD crapped out and am waiting on a replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I always use a sharpie. Mark both edges with a sharpie, remove material with whatever technique until you feel a burr, do the same on the other side. Keep going to finer grits, sharpie every time. When you get to your desired final grit, strop the wire edge off. There ya go, works regardless of process.

You don't have to use a belt on a work sharp, you can use any smooth leather belt, you can stop on a coffee cup, you can stop on the edge of your rolled down window, one of the top makers I know, strops using a maple block.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I have owned and tried them all. They all work and get a blade sharp when you learn the angle. In the end for me is this Sharpal I posted. No oil, never wears out, never rusts. Wash the diamond surfaces off with water. Even comes with a leather strop. I never use the strop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Phoenix Abrasives sells a 1x30 sharpening belt assortment. Can't remember if it includes a leather belt. I buy my ceramics and J flex belts from them. They have a ceramic J flex that's the cat's meow for blade finishing

·
Registered
2,663 Posts

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
The guys at the Pelican fish camp had one of these diamond rod sharpeners. After I used it I ordered two of them. That plus the butcher's steel is all I will use from now on. EZE-LAP Oval Diamond sharpener and Utopia honing steel from Amazon.
Tool Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Titanium Metal
Nickel Sword Metal Fashion accessory Épée

41 - 60 of 93 Posts