Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked around and didn't see anything on this subject. My question is what is a good knife sharpener for hunting knives that doesn't cost more than say $20 or $30? It can be manual or electric. I just want something basic to keep a good edge on hunting knives that are of good quality.

·
Lifetime Member NRA
558 Posts
DMT Diafold Double Sided Diamond Knife Sharpener

Item no: 503145

OUR PRICE:

$39.99

Diamond, the hardest material known, is the most efficient abrasive for quickly sharpening & honing all knives and tool materials. available at pensacola hardware ,academy, etc. easy to use keeps a great edge on my knives . the knife guy at t&w flea market (drives a green ford van)puts the best edge on a knife that i know of. they are scary sharp and only a dollar a knife.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys you've definitely given me some options to look at. I might actually invest a little more and get the Lansky Diamond System recommended from a user at Deer and Deer Hunting. I'll make a visit to Basspro when my tax refund comes in and make my decision then. Again thanks for all the input, I'm definitely in the right direction now. Knife sharpening has never been my strong point!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I could not sharpen a knife worth a crap and always depended on others to do it for me, untill I went to Academy and got the Lansky Diamond. That rascal WORKS!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
go with the lansky system, it will put a good edge on a blade. i'd save a few $ and go to academy instead off bps they seem to be high on everything.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I also would recommend the Lansky sharpeners. The other style with the carbide inserts are great as a field sharpener. Check out Lansky's web site, http://lanskysharpeners.com they have a video that shows how to use their shapeners. I do sell these sharpeners, but I don't know if the big box store have better pricing or not. I would happy to get some pricing for anyone if needed.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
get the lansky!!! i got one about 4-5 yrs ago and its still works just as good as the day i took the plastic off of it..they are worth every penny that you pay for it

·
Registered
945 Posts
My younger daughter Sarah gave me an accu-sharp 15 yrs ago for Christmas. I thought it was a peice of junk... I was WRONG... It will sharpen anything easily... We used to sell them by the dozen at the bridge.... They will eat steel, so if you are planning on leaving your super knives to your kids, these eat metal, but there is plenty left on my knives to leave them to my kids... I slap my blades on some hardwood when I'm done ...

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Gather em up, let the wife take em to t&w flee market. The fella in the middle of the place sharpens em for about $2 and man they are sharp, and hold a pretty good edge, just my .02

·
Registered
636 Posts
In case anyone is looking for another option. The Wicked Sharp is an awesome setup. Does as it's name. restores the perfect angle even with a dummy at the controls. Needed something that i did'nt have to worry about the angles, this is the one. Little pricy but in my opinion (2 cents) well worth it!!!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,349 Posts
If you learn the correct angle to use and keep it there, you'll be able to sharpen like a pro.

I use this block from Harbour Freight. After a few hits, you can shave hair and/or cut paper without it pulling.
And it's within your price limits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts