Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Praedator
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to Sherman Cove and on the water by 5:45 this morning. Started to head out to a spot about 15 miles out and the North wind started to kick it up more and more as we went out. About 7 miles out, I decided I did not want a beating and turned around. It turned out to be the thing to do. Put out the stretch 25's and it was on like donkey kong with the kings in the pass. First hookup was when I was letting one stretch out and then all of a sudden, fish on. It hit it at 100mph it seems and caused a birds nest instantly. It was a mess, but the fish was still on. Couldn't reel, so my father-in-law starts pulling the line in by hand. Lucky for us, it was a small king, but still a keeper. One down more to go. Reset, and as soon as I sit down, Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. Drag is screaming and taking lots of line. We think huge. It was a good 5 minutes before I could even gain anything on him. We decided that it was time to chase this one down. It was a good thing too because, while it was bigger, it was foul hooked and I was pulling him in sideways. He was hanging by a thread by the time we got him to the boat. That made him feel a lot bigger than he was. But still a good 33" king.

Well, we continued the reset, sit down, ziiiing, for another two kings and had our limit in 30 minutes or less. Started back into the bay to find some reds etc... with no luck. So we called it a day and was back at the ramp by 10:30am

Great morning on the water with non-stop action to limit out on kings. Fishare cleaned and we are having a good fish fry tonight.

Oh and for some reason this morning, the kings were eating the green and silver stretch. We put pink out. We put other colors out, but they kept hitting the same lure. All kings were in the 26"-33" range. Which are some good eating size. Too big and I don't care for them even though I prefer to fight thebigger ones.

·
Praedator
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was scooting along about 33 mph when my father-in-law looked back and said, you got a fast mover coming up behind you. Nice boat by the way. Do any fishing or just out and about???

Edit: Never mind, I just saw your report in the other section.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Thanks for the report and pics. We were out in the pass that morning onmy buddy Steve's Edgewater and caught/released a couple of kings on gotchas andgot cutoff by a few more. Wewere around the #4 buoy (I think).Chilly earlierin the morning but by 9:30 or 10 it was really nice out there. Saw more than a couple of boatsout doing the same thing - just having a little fun in the pass.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice KINGS!!!

Where you using steel leaders with those stretch 25s? I was setting a rig up the other day and wondered if it is a must to run about a ft of steel leader while trolling through the pass? What is everyones take on using a steal leader?

·
Praedator
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
beast819 (11/5/2007)Nice KINGS!!!

Where you using steel leaders with those stretch 25s? I was setting a rig up the other day and wondered if it is a must to run about a ft of steel leader while trolling through the pass? What is everyones take on using a steal leader?
Yes, I use a steel leader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts