Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be vacationing from Houston to Fort Walton Beach the week of July 22nd! What is the likelihood of catching king fish from our kayaks in the surf? Never tried before and we do not have foot peddle drive yaks. Any help with gear, bait, techniques and how far to paddle out would be great!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
In the actual surf, probably not. At least a couple hundred yards out from the surf. Slow troll a cigar minnow on a wire leader with a treble hook. Plenty of youtube videos on how to rig that up. Most local bait shops will have them too.

·
Make it a Grady Day.
2,784 Posts
Kings, Bonita, Spanish, Sharks, Sailfish....all possible close to shore slow trolling, live, dead, or lures.

catch 'em up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You don’t need a peddle drive kayak to catch fish. A slow troll and a good presentation will put fish in the kayak all day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have seen an entire school of kings less 50 yards off shore of course they were being chased by dolphins and proceeded to destroy every pompano rig I had out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got a few Abu Garcia 6000 reels. Will these get the job done, or do I need something heavier? How much line capacity is needed?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I’ve got a few Abu Garcia 6000 reels. Will these get the job done, or do I need something heavier? How much line capacity is needed?

I've used the same reels without a single issue. They're just fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts