Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be down Sunday for our annual week long stay at Portofino. Me and my son always try to take our boat out a few mornings to try our luck. With all the rain and I'm sure muddy water how is the king trolling?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Check the fishing reports section for more information but I know of seen reports of guys in Kayaks catching King's and when they weren't catching Kings they were running into schools of Mahi and catching a bunch of those! Water offshore usually clears up pretty quick, usually takes a couple tide cycles and it should be good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've done pretty well lately trolling a spread of things directed to big spanish and kings. These spanish chains out-catch the traditional tube lures 10:1 for me. http://www.texstackle.com/product/blue-water-candy-spanish-daisy-chain-1453.htm

I've caught everything from bluerunners to kings on them. My two original ones died so I bought the stuff and started making them myself for much cheaper.

I also troll shallow running lipped baits like http://www.unfairlures.com/collections/unfair-lures/products/stickbait-unfair-stickminno-120mm-coming-soon?variant=10306506885
with very good results on a mixed bag of fish including spanish, kings, bonito, etc. Make sure you use a short piece of wire in front of any lure you plan on keeping.

You can troll the buoy line and I've caught several fish anywhere from 20-50ft while trolling to or from and also around the shallow reefs a few miles east of Pensacola pass.

My spread is usually one of the squid chains on each rigger then two lipped lures on the corners.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You're welcome. I guess I should add that the spread I use isn't likely to catch any giant kings, but if you want fish on the line, then it'll catch whatever swims in the nearshore waters. I've been catching all sizes of spanish and the kings have been less than 10lbs. It's a good spread to give yourself a high likelihood of catching at least something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts