Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so first off I want to say thank you to Pensacola Kayak and Sail, along with Bahne and the rest of the people, you guys held a great gathering of kayak fishermen and fisherwomen and fun was truly had by all......

With that said I am going to regale you with stories of yore (14 hours ago) and delusions of grandeur that 3 wanna be anglers had this morning....

So this morning I met Dan and Dave at Pensacola Beach at 530 where we prepped and unloaded our kayaks and launched from just west of the Holiday Inn there on the beach. We got out there and the water was glass and it was freezing, thankfully as soon as the sun got up all the way it got warmer. We began by sabiking up some menhaden and cig minnows, in which Dan and Dave managed to catch MOST of them, I added only a few meager beasties to the live well.

I figured well hell, I see how the day is going to go.....

Alas we had our bait, each armed with rods and reels and boxes of cig-cicles and our newly caught love bait we began to troll. Within seconds I got a knockdown, but it was like reeling in a old boot....and what do I see on the other end of my line but a darn remora....yup gonna be one of those days...

Over the next 2 hours Dan manages to pick up the first King, a respectable 33" 7lb bad boy, got something in the boat so to speak, so we were all pumped. Then BAM, a real knockdown, drag screaming, children crying, rod bending....10 mins later it was all over and I have one of the bigger kings that I have caught in my kayak....she ended up being a real pig, 37" but 11.7lbs. Dave was next up and picked up a king around the size of Dan's. Then the bite went quiet....

I managed to boat about 18-20 more cigar minnows, as we watched the bait off of Pensacola pier, just bubble and boil every few seconds. There was Mahi everywhere chasing the hell out of the bait fish, It was pretty cool to watch. But alas, no one was able to hook up to one....

1230 rolls around, I have gotten bite after bite, one even managed to mangle my menhaden, he was a big guy too, he could have been a cast iron skillet he was so big, by chopping him into 3 pieces, one on my nose hook, and one on each of the two stingers that were hanging down.

Loruna hooked up with a 5 foot tiger shark in the middle of the fun, which was a blast. (not really relevant to the tourney but awesome)

1 pm it is and we are all hot and tired and we haven't had a bite in 2 hours, we were teased by some really big Mahi, Dave lost a king Yak side that would have made mine look like a bulimic Spanish mackerel, and Dan had something rip his stinger and duster rig right off after rolling on the surface like a tarpon, so we really needed to get SOMETHING going; and sure enough it happened.

I can see Dave's pole do a slight jerk and tug, and as he reaches back for his rod, up jumps a Mahi doing his impression of circque de soleil, hammering out cheetah flips like its his job. Between me swinging a mean gaff and Dave being a good angler we managed to get that little bugger in the catch pad, but not before Dave turned his kayak into a scene from Dexter(my required pop culture reference for the post).

Two more hours run by and no more bites, our spouses are heading to RFBF to meet us there at 3pm and we were all but smoked after a total of 10 hours on the water.

We pack up, clean up, and head back to RFBF to be weighed, which was a lot of fun, a good time was had by all. I ended up getting 4th with my King, yielding me an amazing D-Blue rod, that I cant WAIT to use! Dave also took 2nd in the pelagic category, winning a bending branches angler paddle which is awesome!

Got some good photos of the fish and the weigh in courtesy of my amazing wife, who did lawn work while I fished all day.

I then went to sushi, spent 2 hours cleaning up an now I writing this to all of you.

Thanks again everyone.

Have a good evening!!

Attachments

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He was spread between "King Cakes" tonight and the neighbors, whom LOVE kings!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Enjoyed the day with you guys, Dan and Chris. The maiden voyage of the PA was a successful and enjoyable one. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we do it again next weekend. Props to Pensacola Kayak and Sail for putting on a fun event!

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Matt and the rest of you guys. Dave, I'd still like to try and put together the pier to pier if we can maybe not for next weekend but for soon, but the answer is yes for next weekend, I really want to land a sail and I think we are coming to a close for that time period haha.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats guys on those prizes!
It was cool seeing so many yaks out yesterday and I'm glad the turnout was good for the tournament. I didn't enter the tournament but was psyched to catch my first shark in a yak and that was enough win for me.

And thanks strongman for the extra bait when I ran out or else I wouldn't have caught dinner.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
awesome day guys... Hopefully weather will hold for next weekend, if so I am up for the pier to pier or just fishing in the good ole GOM

·
Registered
977 Posts
Looks like yall had a great day! much more productive than mine. Got a small spanish trolling to my spot. Then I lost one king early on that surely would have won something. Not another bite until I was trolling back in and got a king that weighed 7.2lbs. If you have a facebook account please post your pics to the King of the Island page or at least tag us in them! Thanks and hope to see you again next year! And I hope you enjoy that DBlue rod! Been itching to put one to the test myself

·
Medically Retired Army
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we are going out sat and sun, should be a blast. Text me if you want any more details!

919-574-4932

1 - 16 of 16 Posts