Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your go to King Mackerel artificial?
Do you use wire leader or thick mono?
Ever use a snapswivel to attach to the artificial?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've always had good luck with the simple King Rigs you can get at Walmart or most local tackle shops. They're just a wire leader with a skirt and double hook setup. Just add a cigar minnow to the rig and start trolling, I usually find them less than a mile offshore and then further out if you don't find them there. Something like the link below but I normally use regular hooks, easier to remove from a flopping around king once you land them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Striker-Carolina-Live-Bait-Slow-Troll-King-Mackerel-Rig-Size-4-Silver/17127068

·
Registered
111 Posts
what about Spanish, I'm coming down mid august and would like to try for them(eat better to me), will the same rig work and how far out do I need to go?

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
I don't typically target kings with artificial. But- are we taking trolling or casting?
I would think, if trolling, a nice "Manns Stretch" or slow trolling a live bait would work well. Might want to get the bait deeper on Hot Sunny days. If trolling live or dead baits, you can dress it up with a skirt or duster. As to the baits themselves- live blue runner usually works well- or live / dead cigar minnow or ballyhoo. If trolling larger lures, you could get away with using a heavy mono leader, but most people would probably stick with wire.
Anyone who knows me, knows I don't go "fishing" for kings- I go "catching" kings when I want to target them. I usually hit the same spot, using a typical live bait "King Rig", which is wire. Using a large dead cigar minnow- and drifting it with the current.
Not knowing where you will be out of, this is what I use along the northern gulf. Having given you that information- may I ask you to patronize your locally owned bait and tackle shops to buy your stuff.
Also, I'm not stingy about my spot- lots of people go there... but I will make you watch my videos to find out where it is! Lol (see the link below)
Hope you found this helpful! Tight lines, and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you troll with a Duster and Cigar minnow, hold the bait over the side and make sure it is not spinning before you put it out behind the boat. If its spinning, move the hooks around until it stops. It will make one heck of a mess out of the line if you troll with it spinning. Trust me.:thumbup:

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
But- are we taking trolling or casting?

Trolling with an artificial
I pretty sure there are a couple guys on here who do. I have caught some trolling daisy chain and dorado candy before. It was just not the target species.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
which video?
I wasn't going to make it too easy! Lol. I bet it's one with "king" in the title. :D. Might have to go back a little- I figured I may have worn out the "king mackerel" fishing a bit in my videos and haven't made a new one in awhile.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing them in a local store. I ordered a couple somewhere online then bought stuff and made my own after the original ones died. Look at the pictures closely then you can make your own. 30ish lb cable, 2.5-3 inch squid, 1/0 J-hooks, 1/4 ounce or so lead eggs for the squid heads, some crimps, swivels, and some plastic beads. Costs a few bucks to get started, but once you build two or three you are money ahead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
can I get them at the store in orange beach?
Go to Sams off Canal Rd. in Orange Beach. Go back to the counter in the rod/reel area. Tell them what you're after and he'll hook you up. Real good guy to deal with and knows his stuff. I promise- you won't be disappointed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts