Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went wading this morning and got on the mullet. i caught 70 or so in an hour and a half. they were still there strong when i left but i got a new bigger heavier net and was wore out. ill post some pics in a little bit.

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they were chock full of roe both white and yellow. if i get on them tomorrow ill let yall know and yall can have them. i just love catching them. we just ate some for supper with cheese grits, hushpuppies, and baked beans! mullet fishermen for world domination!

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it was sweet i didnt even have to chase them. i would throw and by the time i got them all out of the net into the bag id be surrounded again. just make up and throw without walking at all. i was at this same spot the previous 2 days at low tide and didnt catch any but either side of the high tide and its on! nice clean sand too no snags to worry about.

· Out of Towner
67 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've never heard of anyone targeting mullet to eat... Maybe our mullet aren't quite the 'eating' size, but the only people I've ever seen catch them were using them for bait or were Asian... Again, not an insult to Asians...

I'm very curious now... What other fish could you compare the taste to? And it's a little difficult to estimate size based on that pictures... What is a good 'eating' size mullet length?

-Corey

· Green Eggs And Ham
14,128 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've never heard of anyone targeting mullet to eat... Maybe our mullet aren't quite the 'eating' size, but the only people I've ever seen catch them were using them for bait or were Asian... Again, not an insult to Asians...

I'm very curious now... What other fish could you compare the taste to? And it's a little difficult to estimate size based on that pictures... What is a good 'eating' size mullet length?

-Corey
I personally wouldn't eat mullet in TX or LA due to the muddy bottom. The mullet here in FL are pretty good eating due to the very clear sandy bottom. I usually get my mullet near the pass at Pensacola. The Black Mullet get pretty big any where from 2 to 4 pounds depending on if it is Roe season. I like mine fried or smoked, once you fillet they and cut all of the red out it's pretty good white meat.

· Registered
130 Posts

-Corey
Just an idea of how the mullet are around here, they sell fried mullet at a lot of the local mom and pop seafood restaurants. Fried is the only way!

· Registered
636 Posts
I'm not a pcola or even a florida native and I'm actually pretty darn picky when it comes to fish.. I don't like most fish even. I don't like any freshwater fish (crappie isn't too horrible maybe) and I've grown to really only like a few species of SW (trigger, aj, tuna, flounder are my favorite) - could take or leave trout, redfish, snapper, and the only way I like spanish and kings is smoked and in dip but I DO like mullet - I tried it when we moved here 5+ years ago and have enjoyed it ever since... I guess to each his own!

I do have a question though... what do you do with the Roe? That's something I don't know anything about...

· Registered
3,148 Posts
please don't take this the wrong way, but i've never heard of anyone targeting mullet to eat... Maybe our mullet aren't quite the 'eating' size, but the only people i've ever seen catch them were using them for bait or were asian... Again, not an insult to asians...

-corey
wtf

· Wicked Awesome
2,280 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I rarely see people targeting mullet for bait. Maybe finger mullet, but damn. Mullet is great tasting. And they make for good footballs. :whistling:

· Registered
3,148 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I rarely see people targeting mullet for bait. Maybe finger mullet, but damn. Mullet is great tasting. And they make for good footballs. :whistling:
I see people catch em for bait but dang that made my jaw drop I grew up on mullet I remember when I was real young maybe 12 dragging a 300 ft gill net in Lillian bay just me and my step dad I'd be up to my neck in water lol and I was throwing throwing mullet nets before that lol. When we was using the gill net we would catch em then cook em right on the beach.

· Wicked Awesome
2,280 Posts
In my opinion, mullet is one of the best tasting fish as it is. I remember we would go fishing real early in the morning, and bring our hibachi grille along. While we would be fishing, we would also throw a net and catch mullet. We would filet them while they flopped around and throw em on the grille, no seasonings. All we would bring would be a dozen eggs to cook with them. What a damn good breakfast! But fried mullet is also good eating! O*D*W

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.