Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Great job. Those rascals are getting thick up my my neck-o-the woods.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Was he a target of opportunity? Or did you call him in? Nice Dog!!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
You had me going for a moment with that title.
I would ruin a deer hunt to kill a coyote. Good job.
15 minutes after I shot one the other day, three does came out roughly where the coyote did. Eventually came in to 20 yards of my stand - as if to thank me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Two times I saw yotes this year, I had deer come in 10 or 15 minutes after the yote came through. I didn't shoot the dogs, looking back wish i had of, those dang things are taking over.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice job dude! Last thing I shot at was two up in Texas. One was just like the one you shot. When I got down out of the stand a couple hrs later to look at him a solid black one walked up on me. Both are in doggy heaven now

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I'm afraid they will always just be a way of life. We could never put a dent in their population. However, I will try every chance I get.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm afraid they will always just be a way of life. We could never put a dent in their population. However, I will try every chance I get.
Unfortunately we will never put a dent in them. A female coyote can have up to 19 pups in one litter. They are almost like hogs good thing though is they only breed once a year unlike hogs breeding multiple times a year. Good thing they can't do that because if they could we wouldn't have any deer or turkeys left.

·
Super Moderator
28,614 Posts
Good deal!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Average litter size generally is 3-4 pups. They can have larger litter sizes, with the highest noted by several ADC hands I know of, counted 14. Not impossible I suppose, but 19 would be astronomical, and by no stretch, anywhere close to the 3-4 average. It is rare, because coyotes are not a pack animal, that a den is shared by two bitches, so a pup count could lead to a erroneous conclusion. By personal account, Ive never seen more than five placental scars in a big mature bitch coyote of the ones Ive killed.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Average litter size generally is 3-4 pups. They can have larger litter sizes, with the highest noted by several ADC hands I know of, counted 14. Not impossible I suppose, but 19 would be astronomical, and by no stretch, anywhere close to the 3-4 average. It is rare, because coyotes are not a pack animal, that a den is shared by two bitches, so a pup count could lead to a erroneous conclusion. By personal account, Ive never seen more than five placental scars in a big mature bitch coyote of the ones Ive killed.
Yeah I read that on National Geographic. I'm sure they are the same litter sizes as our dogs but still even 3-4 coyotes per female is a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts