Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my4 and 1/2year old twins(the C-Monsters) out fishing with me next season. They already catch pinfish, croakers, and small reds with their spiderman/barbie fishing rods and love it. I am hoping to get them to some nearshore snapper holes when the season finally opens up next year. They get so excited with a pinfish, I would bet they would go crazy with a snapper. My question is, what reel would you choose for them? I plan on making them keep the rod in the rod holder while reeling so it is not lost overboard. I'm thinking levelwind, something built for 20 pound test line, but really don't know? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 7 year old uses a 320 GTI. It has a good retrive, level wind, and a pretty slow drop so we don't get many birdnests. I have it on a 5.5' penn 30 lb class and it is light enough for her to use. I got mine refurbished and it was pretty cheap.

Hope it helps...

CHris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My 8 and 9 year old's fight over the Torium 30. 6' Trevala rod. I put a Mingo/Trigger rig on it and watch them get a bunch of fish. :clap

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I would also recomend a levelwind b/c of the ease of use. I imagine you'll be dropping down the bait for them so a birdsnest is of no worry. If you plan on letting them do it though, I would recomend a decent spinning reel.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
konz (12/10/2009)I would also recomend a levelwind b/c of the ease of use. I imagine you'll be dropping down the bait for them so a birdsnest is of no worry. If you plan on letting them do it though, I would recomend a decent spinning reel.
Same here but I'd start out with something like a Penn 9M.... That way when it goes overboard you won't feel too bad.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Keep your eye open for a couple of new/used/rebuilt 320/330 GTI combos... You should be able to geta pairfor between $100 & $250 depending on condition & rod quality...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I will be starting out very slow with them. I'll drop the baits down, and will only let them reel the fish up. Was thinking levelwind, but maybe a spinning reel is a good idea. Still don't know if I am crazy to take them out, but I know it will be a lot easier to get out on the water if I take the kids with me!

·
Registered
216 Posts
How large and how mature are the kids? Just asking, because 4 1/2 seems a little young for a large reel like that.

More specifically I'm thinking about little kiddie fingers near or, God forbid,IN a level-wind and something like a large amberjack or a king mackerel shows upto the snapper feed.

A medium to large spinning reel might be a bit more prudent. Also, if one of them lifted it out of the rod holder while you are not looking, it would be less likely to be too cumbersome than a top mounted reel, and less likely to tangle in their clothing.

Just my humble observation, but little kids (and adult novices) tend to hold the reel too close to their torsos trying to maintain better control of the rod and reel. I notice it a lot in older folks, too, when they don't have a lot of hand and/or arm strength.

Oh yeah, a safety lanyard attached to the rig to keep it from going overboard. Stuff happens out in the slippery and wet.

Just a thought. Good luck and good fishing.

BT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts