Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all 3 of my boys were into hunting as they were growing up now my youngest 8 seems to be my only hunting buddy these days rain, shine, freezing like this past weekend he refused to stay home. 12 and 15 yr old different story want to keep them involved in hunting to keep there mind straight and out of trouble ,,, so i was wondering how people can do that little extra push without seeming like there pushing, dont want to push them away know what i mean. hey any info im sure alot of people are going thru the same when there boys start hitting pue:dohverty

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My boy is still very young but I am going to do what my step dad did. If at all I do buy a video game system it will be in the living room and will be used once a week and no tv in his room.Also they encoraged me to play outside every day for hours before homework and sports was as important as school. All those days outside fishing and making bows made me love it. All kids are different though. My bro is a vegetarian who just went to the house down the street to play video games. I atribute all laziness of todays kidsto video games so i'm bias. If you keep them active they will be active later.

·
Super Moderator
28,635 Posts
My 17 could care less (bought him the lifetime license last year makes me ??? the purchase). He's wrapped by his girlfriend so I don't even bother. My 11 loves hunting but since he killed his buck his excuse is that I haven't killed mine yet so he lets me go by myself. I tried to explain that I'd trade every deer I'll ever shoot to be with him so he could shoot it....I've got 2 goodens I'm hunting so he's being very generous:letsdrink

I would say not to push them to hard and as fer the youngest, don't expect him to sit fer long amounts of time. I'm sure the seed is planted and everyone "grows" at different rates...:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I don't have kids that age yet, but I would think the problem is more of an age of the kid and what they are doing then anything. Teenagers don't want to hang out with dad. They want to hang out with their friends. At 8, they still think you are the coolest person in the world.

I remember as a teenager enjoying hunting, but I hate having to go up to the camp and spend the weekend there. I would rather be back home hanging out with my friends. I think thats what you are battleing more than anything. And you have to be careful, don't want to start forcing them to do something and build resement.

One idea is see if you can get their friends involved. If you want him in hte woods, and he wants to be with his friends, can you take him and the friends to the woods?

·
Praedator
10,088 Posts
AUradar (1/15/2010)One idea is see if you can get their friends involved. If you want him in hte woods, and he wants to be with his friends, can you take him and the friends to the woods?
This is what I was going to say. Get them and their friends involved. Take them hunting that involves a small group of 3 or so. Take them and a friend with you. That way, they can still hang out with their friends and you still have them involved.

Does their friends hunt at all? If they do not, it may be good time to get another youngster involved as well. At their parrent's permision of course.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
All kids who grow up hunting every weekendwill take a break from it when they are in their teens to chase girls and hang out with guys their age. It's just natural to want to get laid once you hit about 15, and it ain't hapening in the deer woods.

I know when I was a teen I was the only kid I knew who hunted, and you can't just invite your friends to go out in the woods and shoot guns. Their parent will freak out. I guess if you live in the country it is different, but if your in the city then finding kids his age to go huntingis just about impossible.

Usually most of us come back to it latter in life once things settle down. I took a couple of seasons off in highschool, but started hunting alot again after I had gained a little life experience. From the age of 12 to 16 to you bascially grow up, and leaving home and doing things with friends is part of it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think it is important to keep things interesting. I know I personally love sitting in the woods for hours on end deer hunting, because to me it is relaxing. But to kids, especially older kids, I think they find it too slow-paced and boring for the most part. Might want to try taking them rabbit, squirrel, dove, duck, etc... hunting.Small game/birdaction is a little quicker and they might find it more entertaining. And of course, lots and lots of encouragement and praise for their success goes a long way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i dont know if taking a break when your a teenager is totally true. dont get me wrong i liked hangin with my friends and gf. but i did it when it was dark. i hunted and fished all through school even got caught hunting during school hours. i guess what i can say about it is keep it fun talk about it in the days leading up to the hunt or fishing day. clean the guns make sure they have the wright clothes get everything ready the day before. if you have a few different places to hunt let them choose an area.but what made it the most fun for me was even if we didnt get to pull the trigger on any game we allways got to shoot at something pinecones, tin cans. goodluck

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well I'm about to be 21 so I'm still a youngen so maybe I can give you a different perspective. (even though I never hunted, fished, or anything that has now consumed my life until I was 18)

I remember when I use to live up North and we use to go the boat every weekend and spend the weekends out there. Sometimes I wouldn't want to go because none of my friends were going to be there. It's nice when you're that age to have someone that you can goof off with a little more and just be a kid. Weird thing was all my friends were about 5 years older then me. Now I think the average age of my friends are about 30+. If you can get there friends involved maybe it doesn't have to be hunting at first (seeing as not many teens can sit in a tree for 3+ hours not doing anything). Maybe get him and a friend and go to the shooting range, shoot some skeet, or if they're hooked on the video games and you have a Wii get the hunting games and play them with your kids. Don't get me started on the girlfriend thing. At that age they get a girlfriend and they think they're going to get married after high school. That's one that you can't really do much about.

If they're as competitive as I was maybe get a BB gun and shoot in the backyard and have a little competition. I remember when i was that age I wanted to prove I was the best. Or see who can shoot better at the range you, him, and his friend. Or keep the rest of the family around. Now a days families rarely do anything together and that's something that i think people in my generation are going to miss out on.

Try and do somethings he/she likes and then take him out doing something you enjoy. I would try and avoid forcing them as much as possible because that's going to make them want to do it even less. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I know this is easier said than done, but always try to hunt in places where they see alot of activity and have a good chance of killing a deer. Not seeing any deer can get very old for a 15 yr. old that has alot of other things on his mind.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 7 yr. old killed his first deer back december at Jason's place(thanks again Jason!). I started carrying him when he was 3. He isabsolutely ate up with hunting and fishing but he also loves playing football and baseball. Hunting and fishing are another way for me to spend time with him. He has all the video game consoles(we have all the hunting and fishing games for them).We play them all the time.I could be wrong but I expect him to love the outdoors and football as much as I do. I have two nephews that live here that grew up hunting and fishing with their daddy and me and they love to this day. I also have a nephew back home in Tennessee who grew up in hunting and fishing w/ dad and he is college now but spends a lot of time hunting and fishing with his dad and girlfriend. Hunting and fishing works as a good incentive for my little guy for good grades and good behavior. He messes up at school or at the house he can't go to the woods or the water with daddy or his uncles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts