Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who remembers key west like this 60s turtle crawls and Hemingway's get away.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Supposedly I was there in the late 50’s but I was too young to remember being there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I remember the Keys from the seventies. I enjoyed staying at Pennykamp park and dove several of the reefs. Every time I return I am amazed at the population increase and buildings where there were miles of not much. We found several dirt/sand roads that drove down to old broken down docks and we had the area to ourselves. Destin is the same for me. We could drive miles and miles and only see a few structures and clear view of the gulf. I am not against progress but it was nice when there wasn't as much clutter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We never went that far down but do you know Bud And Marys? Something like that. Later 60's. We went every weekend when I was a kid. Stop there for bait, sometimes rented a boat ( johnboat ) and fish around there. Usually went a little further down, pulled into a spot and camped in a pop-up for the weekend. A lot of pics, I'll have to dig some up ...

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We never went that far down but do you know Bud And Marys? Something like that. Later 60's. We went every weekend when I was a kid. Stop there for bait, sometimes rented a boat ( johnboat ) and fish around there. Usually went a little further down, pulled into a spot and camped in a pop-up for the weekend. A lot of pics, I'll have to dig some up ...
Bud and marys yes I went down the keys in the 60s and stopped at Bud and Marys. Went with fins and snorkel and murdered lobsters on the first bridge west of Bud and Marys.

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Photos of that time period would be great to see. Hope that you can find them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome! Same here lobster. Have pics of spearing lobsters. I'll post this weekend when the work is done.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I remember a lot of it, I was in jr.high in '62, gone after graduation "kwconch" in '67. Go back every now n then. Lived in base housing out where you camp in Sigsbee Park, it was brand new then!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Just got back from BPK. We love the Key's, but never been there before 1991. Wish I could have seen what it was like back in the day. Quite a bit has changed since our first trip. Retirement is a few years away, after that I hope to spend a lot more time there. Would love to see more of you guy's old pics.

I also remember when Destin was nothing, and there was no such place as Sandestin. Two lane highway from Ft. Walton to Panama City.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I also remember when Destin was nothing, and there was no such place as Sandestin. Two lane highway from Ft. Walton to Panama City.
Me too, I lived in FWB from 1952 until 1958 it was WAY WAY out there, seemed like driving through nowhere. Actually, the Air Force was so visible in those days and air shows weren't stunt flying but watching napalm and strafing. Then I worked in Destin in 1969.

I didn't go back until 1982 and it wasn't even the same place. Then I went back in the early 2000s. I had been asked to speak at a conference on a Saturday morning in May so I thought I'd drive there Friday after work. OMG! It took 45 minutes from the bridge to the entrance to Sandestin. All the car tags were from Atlanta so they thought the traffic was just a normal thing.

It was a beautiful place and they F***** it up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Stayed in Key West a few times traveling through by boat. Went for the 1st time to stay in ‘18. Had a ball. Took my parents with us. My dad had spent some time in the Keys while he was at Homestead. We stayed on Cudjoe key then. Will be leaving this coming Saturday to spend a week in Marathon. If I would have went down there when I was a teenager, I’d probably be living there now. Need to figure out how to increase the deer population and bring in some turkeys so I could hunt there too.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Last time I was there you can hunt iguanas and roosters. There's boat loads of them everywhere.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stationed key West 69-73, USS Punguin ASR-12 and USSTringa ASR-16 submarine Resque Ships. All Diesel Subs in Key West. They were all decomissioned in 76. The end of the Diesel Subs.
Loved key west go coffee cup hunting for the subs and come up with 25 lobster and a shit can full of cups.
Now the sub piers are gone and town houses and timeshares are there where underwater swim school was. The lobsters are still there.

Reactions: H2OMARK

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Stationed key West 69-73, USS Punguin ASR-12 and USSTringa ASR-16 submarine Resque Ships. All Diesel Subs in Key West. They were all decomissioned in 76. The end of the Diesel Subs.
Loved key west go coffee cup hunting for the subs and come up with 25 lobster and a shit can full of cups.
Now the sub piers are gone and town houses and timeshares are there where underwater swim school was. The lobsters are still there.
Hey Ron, so are 3 of the old houses I used to live in....even the one in Sigsbee. Lots of other things changed. No more 4th of July restaurant where I used to eat, tore down old high school, built a bigger one, no more Navy hospital. Some things still good there. Fishin & goosterin!

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mack, I couldnt even get sigsbee when I got transfered there in 69. I was trailer trash lot 68 in Stadium trl park behind sears. Been back every year since leaving KW except last 4 years because of RV park regulations. MWR has ruined the recreational aspect of the military when special services was canned. All about making money, yeh for mwr.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts