Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents have given my wife and I a great gift. They will pay for us to spend an entire week at their house in Key West. All expenses paid. And pay for a half day on a boat fishing as well!!! The catch is, it will be in March, possibly late February! It is the only time my wife and I can go. She has no vacation time until then, we have a trip in April/May for a wedding (not ours).

If you were given a day's charter in Key West in March, what would you target? I flyfish a little, but an not good enough to even consider bones. They dont really interest me anyway. I catch croaker, trout,and reds regularly, so no interest in that... What are my options that time of year?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VS200B (12/30/2007)cobia on fly :bowdown
I have NOWHERE near the casting skill to get close to anything but and blind one with no Lateral lines. I'm only good for 40-50ft with fly and I only have a 5wt. Probably not the best tackle for cobes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Capt. Josh Roser was a deckhand down there for a few years and he could tell you. He is a forum member pm him and I'm sure he can steer you inthe right direction. I think you might be just at the end of sailfish season in March.

·
Super Moderator
13,081 Posts
cobia are stupid, and if they're hungry, they're very stupid.... they only get hard to catch when the hit 60+ lbs...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Tarpon, then pull out the fly rod and try for a permit. You can do both on a half day trip!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boggy Basin Boy (12/30/2007)http://www.islandvilla.com/residential_sales.htm This is a family friend and her son charters out of islamorada there is some fine fishing to be had if the wind will lay down off the atlantic.
Thanks, but that is too far. I will be in Key West, and have to leave the car for my wife to drive around all day. She wil not be willing to drive 75 miles to drop me off and 75 more to pick me up.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
Theres still plenty of sailfish action going on down there at that time of the year. Tarpon around the bridges,cobes around the wrecks and tons of backcountry stuff like Eric stated. Good luck and have a great trip. I won't be back down till the end of '08. You may want to call ahead to the local marinas and see what's biting,water conditions,etc. and get some guides names and numbers.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I figured on that. But I know they will ask what I am interested in. I have never paid any attention to the fishing migrations down there. I never thought I would go. So I thought I would educate myself with you guys before I bothered calling them. Thanks for the help so far. I'm kinda leaning towards spinning for tarpon and Cudas (trying the fly first) and then asking about going out for a good Amber jack to finish off the day. I've heard that when you get a good one. You are DONE!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
No matter what you decide on fishing for,it's always a great trip down. Got any large suitcases that can hold like 165lbs?:)

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a roofrack... Turn your hat arounnd backwards and wear some shades. Good thing the lovebugs are gone!:doh

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No chance of saving money. A month later I have a week trip to Daytona for a wedding. We have to pay for our room and my wife's elderly parentss room. + food and gas. Then the next month we have a baby on the way. This trip is an all expense paid deal from my parents because we dont ever ask for anything. The half day is an added bonus. I wouldn't leave my wife in a strange place with nothing to do for three days anyway. You could't drag her dead body on a 20 minute fishing trip, much less 2 or three days. 2 or 3 days would be WAY beyond my means without all of these other expenses anyway. That would pay for 2 or 3 years worth of our vacations. I might be able to come up with the $150 to extend it to a 6 hour trip. But doubtful.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If given that choice I'd definately go for a back-country trip for snook and tarpon as well. But take the guides advice he fishes there every day, maybe you should ask him what would be the most productive and time fullfilling.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are so many options for fishing Key West, but in Feb/March (or ever) Snook is not one of them. While there are some snook present in the waters there (I've actually seen one or two around the ramp at Oceanside Marina, I've never seen or even heard of one caught out of Key West.

IMO, Feb /March would be good for cobia in the back country, with sharks a good second choice on light tackle/fly. Tarpon/permit/cobia should be in the harbor. Offshore on the reef would be sails for fun, tuna and kingfish on top and muttons/red snapper/grouper on or near the bottom.

Don't worry about your #5 rod as if you want to go with a flyrod, tell the guide when you set up the charter and he/she will have the appropriate sized tackle.

As for guides, I'd recommend most any of the skiff guides like the Delph's, the Veach's, Bob Trosset, Ken Harris, Mark Schmidt, Bruce Cronin.

Call Rob Harris at Conchy Joe's Tackle (he's a retired Navy Chief) http://www.conchyjoeskw.com/ 305-295-7745 and get his advise. He's a local who knows what is going on and not afraid to share or help and will steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, some options have opened up. Now we can go any time we wantEXCEPT immediatly or during the last week of April/fist week of May. When would be the best time to go? Irrelavent of the fishing. That is only going to be one day out of 7.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts