Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently purchased a Caravelle group Key Largo Boat? I am in the market and have been wondering about this brand. Reviews seem to be mixed. Found a review for the 2015 1800CC from Boattest.com that seems to be solid. That said I have seen some negative reviews that suggest these boats are very cheap and problematic. I understand that this is a value drive brand but Bayliner is a value driven brand. Doesn't mean their boats aren't built well. Given the lack of critical and peer reviews I wanted to put out the feelers and get your impressions.

I was interested in getting either the 1800CC or the 1900CC. I can drive up to the facility in Georgia and get a good deal plus save on freight. While the boats look nice on the surface and come well appointed I am worried this is fools gold. I would rather get less and settle with a quality boat than get something that looks slick but has factory defects and/or quality issues. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to update everyone on the question I posted some time ago. I made the drive to the factory to see about buying a boat directly and was greatly dissapointed. The whole operation is a joke.

The place literally looked like some abandoned warehouse. Their showroom floor was empty except for one boat. The boat had screws and parts in the cockpit. The labels on the rocker switches were rubbed off. Mind you this is supposedly a brand new boat. The fit and finish was horrible. Beyond cheap. This was their 1900cc. In the back storage area they had this 2016 1800cc that looked like some salvage project. It looked awful.

I am so glad I did not go with a Key Largo boat. What a garbage company. I found some postings that reinforced what I saw. Do not deal with this company. These boats are complete crap and their service is horrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. So someone just posted this. Holy hell am I glad I decided not to buy a Largo.

I was hired as a sales manager at Factory Direct Marine N RV in Americus by the owner, Don Littlefield. Upon taking the position, I find out that I am expected to be the General Manager, Sales Manager, handyman and Salesperson. We had approximately 15 low end RV's on the lot and 2 boats. The grass and weeds in the parking lot we're 3 to 6 foot tall, the grassy area were approximately 3 foot tall.
With one boat in the show room, one on the lot. 4 of the 7 phone lines did not work, fax line did not work. Air conditioner for the building did not work, no water source for myself or the other 3 employees, except for a bathroom sink. 2 working computers for 4 employees, no labor laws posted anywhere on the premises
I had to find out, on my own, who I needed to contact to get my w-4 paperwork in order for my paychecks to be processed.
After getting all of the above in order in the first week, I was instructed to sell 8 units before the end of the month. Approximately 10 days later, after selling two units and in the process of closing on 3 others, Don Littlefield fired me on the spot and instructed the remaining young female salespeople to sell at least 15 units by the end of August (29 days) or they would all be fired.
Is this really the type of person that you want to work for or give your hard earned money to??? Buyer and employees BEWARE!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Key Largo 180cc in December 2019 sight unseen was just shown pictures
of the boat because it still was up in Americus Ga.
First problem It took them 3 weeks to get the boat to the Palm Harbor dealership.
Second problem was when we did the water demo engine stall and couldn't get it started.
Finally got back the ramp and mechanic found almost a gallon of water that he pumped out.
After they got the engine running I took it back out for the water demo by myself.
Third issue when getting the boat on plane it Listed To the Port side making hard to steer.
So I figured all it needed was trim tabs no matter where I set the tabs it still didn't help.
After making many weight distributions to the starboard side over 200 lbs worth it still listed
to Port and even moving two grown men to the right side another 350 lbs.
I tried everything I could on my own to figure this out. Frustrated I opened the 2 access plates
on the floor and saw that water had been trapped between the deck and the hull. The corrosion
on the gas fittings suggested it had been in it for a long time. Now I know the water found its way
into the gas tank, I have emailed pictures of the problems to the Factory.
I had to drive my boat to the Factory from NPR Fl. 350 miles to drop it off to
get All of the other issues Fixed.
Since I received this boat it has been 5 months of Frustration trying to get it Fixed.
I have had more than 30 boats New and Used but Never experienced anything like this From New Boat.
There are many more Issues to this Story but I won't Bore you
After waiting 2 weeks as of today's date i've Called and Texted them to get a progress report
they have not responded.
Has anyone else had a Similar issue with their Key Largo 18cc i'd like to hear from them.
I just wanted to update everyone on the question I posted some time ago. I made the drive to the factory to see about buying a boat directly and was greatly dissapointed. The whole operation is a joke.

The place literally looked like some abandoned warehouse. Their showroom floor was empty except for one boat. The boat had screws and parts in the cockpit. The labels on the rocker switches were rubbed off. Mind you this is supposedly a brand new boat. The fit and finish was horrible. Beyond cheap. This was their 1900cc. In the back storage area they had this 2016 1800cc that looked like some salvage project. It looked awful.

I am so glad I did not go with a Key Largo boat. What a garbage company. I found some postings that reinforced what I saw. Do not deal with this company. These boats are complete crap and their service is horrible.
I wish I saw this post before I purchased my boat I thought after your experience that they would of
gotten better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Key Largo 180cc in December 2019 sight unseen was just shown pictures
of the boat because it still was up in Americus Ga.
First problem It took them 3 weeks to get the boat to the Palm Harbor dealership.
Second problem was when we did the water demo engine stall and couldn't get it started.
Finally got back the ramp and mechanic found almost a gallon of water that he pumped out.
After they got the engine running I took it back out for the water demo by myself.
Third issue when getting the boat on plane it Listed To the Port side making hard to steer.
So I figured all it needed was trim tabs no matter where I set the tabs it still didn't help.
After making many weight distributions to the starboard side over 200 lbs worth it still listed
to Port and even moving two grown men to the right side another 350 lbs.
I tried everything I could on my own to figure this out. Frustrated I opened the 2 access plates
on the floor and saw that water had been trapped between the deck and the hull. The corrosion
on the gas fittings suggested it had been in it for a long time. Now I know the water found its way
into the gas tank, I have emailed pictures of the problems to the Factory.
I had to drive my boat to the Factory from NPR Fl. 350 miles to drop it off to
get All of the other issues Fixed.
Since I received this boat it has been 5 months of Frustration trying to get it Fixed.
I have had more than 30 boats New and Used but Never experienced anything like this From New Boat.
There are many more Issues to this Story but I won't Bore you
After waiting 2 weeks as of today's date i've Called and Texted them to get a progress report
they have not responded.
Has anyone else had a Similar issue with their Key Largo 18cc i'd like to hear from them.

I wish I saw this post before I purchased my boat I thought after your experience that they would of
gotten better.
I bought a 220 Bay from them a few months back and have had nothing but issues. It’s a really long story but basically i bought it from the Americus GA location because I was trading a camper and they gave me way more on trade than any dealer I spoke to in Florida. I bought it back in March and have had problem after problem and the boat still isn’t right. I just had it out this weekend and it tried to stall like it was out of fuel. I popped open the bilge to check the primer bulb and smelled fuel down there. So much for the 4th unless I’m working on my brand new boat myself again. When I first bought it during Corona and had issues I got tired of waiting for the local dealer in Florida to reopen and fix my problems so I hauled my boat back to Americus since they were still open up there. The idiots at the factory couldn’t even make it all right. I freaked out after seeing the factories “repairs” and took it before anyone else touched it. A few weeks after this the Florida location finally opened and I took my boat to the shop that they led me to believe they owned but don’t. The guy who owns the shop is actually straight up and a good tech and fixed all my issues at the time but I could tell he was overwhelmed with the dealers warranty work and shitty quality boats. Poor guy is caught in the middle trying to help everyone that buys these new Key Largos. I don’t know how they’re still in business. The whole company is a joke. Even the manufacturer Caravelle is ridiculous. I tried calling them to complain about the boat and dealer and they basically told me to take it up with the dealer they had nothing to do with it. If anyone else reads this please email me. I’d like to hear other people’s issues and see if there’s anything we can do about it. I have a feeling there’s lots of us out there. [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 220 Bay from them a few months back and have had nothing but issues. It’s a really long story but basically i bought it from the Americus GA location because I was trading a camper and they gave me way more on trade than any dealer I spoke to in Florida. I bought it back in March and have had problem after problem and the boat still isn’t right. I just had it out this weekend and it tried to stall like it was out of fuel. I popped open the bilge to check the primer bulb and smelled fuel down there. So much for the 4th unless I’m working on my brand new boat myself again. When I first bought it during Corona and had issues I got tired of waiting for the local dealer in Florida to reopen and fix my problems so I hauled my boat back to Americus since they were still open up there. The idiots at the factory couldn’t even make it all right. I freaked out after seeing the factories “repairs” and took it before anyone else touched it. A few weeks after this the Florida location finally opened and I took my boat to the shop that they led me to believe they owned but don’t. The guy who owns the shop is actually straight up and a good tech and fixed all my issues at the time but I could tell he was overwhelmed with the dealers warranty work and shitty quality boats. Poor guy is caught in the middle trying to help everyone that buys these new Key Largos. I don’t know how they’re still in business. The whole company is a joke. Even the manufacturer Caravelle is ridiculous. I tried calling them to complain about the boat and dealer and they basically told me to take it up with the dealer they had nothing to do with it. If anyone else reads this please email me. I’d like to hear other people’s issues and see if there’s anything we can do about it. I have a feeling there’s lots of us out there. [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes its almost a Carbon copy of the same issues I am having with this company. I had to drive from New Port Richey
350 miles 1 way on my Dime because I wanted to see this factory for myself. Of course after waiting 4 months for them to do anything I couldn't wait any longer.
I hope we can get more people tell to us what problems they have had. I know people are afraid to admit they made
a mistake in their purchase from this company. I'm sure that there maybe a lot who had a good experience I am glad
for them but I need to know that I Am not alone with problem boats.
Don't ever buy a Boat sight unseen Trust no one unless You do a Thorough Inspection.
Keep in touch
Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts