Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to talk my wife into taking a family (hunting) trip to Russell Springs Kentucky the week after Christmas. We had a blast and even though we didn't see any bucks I was able harvest the biggest doe I'd ever seen and hunt in some beautiful mountains with hardwoods everywhere. It was awesome! On Dec 30th with about 10 minutes of light left I had 3 does walk right down a path in front of me. It was col ( 30 degrees) and windy. I picked out the biggest doe, she stopped broadside at 20 yards, and i drilled her with my Mathews Z-9 using a Schwacker broadhead. She ran down a mountain about 80 yards and dropped. This is where I learned a new respect for people in mountanous regions with big deer. I guessed her weight at around 200 pounds and tried to drag her up hill by myself. After getting her about 100 yards I gutted her ( which i should have done in the first place) and then drug her about anothe 150 yards along the trail. I was spent. I called my wife and had her and my son help drag her the remaining 300 yards to the vehicle. Definately something I will never forget. By the way...i love my Schwacker broadheads. Goo pass through, the blades are as good as new after hitting the ground, and have left a good blood trail on the deer i've killed with them.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Congratulations on a monster doe, but you know the rules - pics or it didn't happen.

Dragging one uphill will tend to make them heavier. Only had one mortally wounded buck run uphill toward the truck. Guess he wasn't thinking clearly at the time.

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Yepper....when I was up there, a 150-175 lb doe was no problem!!! Congrats on the hunt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts