Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. This is going to be similar to my last thread except this ones about your catch rather than your bait (which I got some very useful info from, thanks). I'm weighing my options between insulating the front hatch of my PA12 or buying an insulated fish bag. In the past I only kept really big macs close to shore. I would paddle in throw it in my truck ice chest then go back out if the bite was good. Now with my aspirations of going a couple miles out to fish wrecks and reefs, paddling fish back to the truck isn't going to be an option. I don't really see a 32"-36" king fitting in that PA12 front hatch, or a 12-15 pound grouper for that matter. I'm reluctant about the fish bag because they're so expensive and it's one more freakin thing to keep up with. Also a legality question, if you're in a group of 3 or 4 yakers does everyone have to have their own fish bag or can the group use one bag on one yak?

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
A fish bag would be the way to go. I've never had this issue with keeping others' fish, but I doubt it's ok to keep two guys' limits on your boat. It would probably depend on the mood of the officer who caught you in this position...

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Seems to me that any reasonable guy from FWC would accept the use of the one fish bag. That said, you may be unfortunate enough to meet the one guy who is not so reasonable. Most of them that I have met are in the first category.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Keep it simple

Ok for now this is what I'm doing but I have an OB so room is a little more limited. Polar Bear 12 pack cooler, about 4-5 drinks and 5-6 frozen water bottles, small Hot/Cold bag that frozen bait goes in all inside the Polar Bear. Then a fish bag and another large Hot/Cold bag inside of it stored next to Polar Bear behind me. If you catch a king or Spanish , in the fish bag and put a few frozen water bottles in and some sea water. If It's a Snapper or other spiny fish in the Large Hot/Cold bag he goes and then in the fish bag with Frozen bottles. All you need to leave in the Polar Bear is one to two frozen bottles for your drinks. It's compact, the Polar Bear has a shoulder strap makes it easy to move. You dont mix drinks, snacks with the fish. Once I'm on shore I take fish from fish bag and put in real cooler in truck and buy a bag of ice asap. Sounds more complicated than it is. 24 pack Polar Bear would be even better but I'd just weigh down boat even more with stuff in it. Ingredients 1 Polar Bear cooler 40 bucks, one large Hot/Cold bag, One small one, frozen water bottles if you need to you can drink the frozen water.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've only ever had a run in with deputies on the water and they were very nice. I guess cause they deal with tourists so much they know we're all stupid. I think I'll email FWC and ask their input. I think it would only be fair to let group use one bag if they're staying reasonable close to one another. That's no different than 6 guys in a center console all dropping fish in one box. I mean it's not like you could out run them to shore as they went and checked the other guys in your group.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got the ice mule pro catch cooler bag. I am very impressed with the construction, and the insides seem to be pretty stout. It is basically a insulated dry bag that straps to the bow.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
42" for the large.... what do I do with 48" kings? Please help me with this. When trolling the GOM what size fish bag? I figured 60" bag would be required...any suggestions or advise?

·
Registered
96 Posts
With my old fish bag if I caught something a little to large I would just let the tail hang out but that one had a zippered opening, I think it was a 38 inch bag. The ice mule is a lot wider and longer so I can put them in caddy corner and get a couple more inches that way.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,522 Posts
FWC is going to say that every angler needs to keep their catch on their vessel. Like Slim said, it's gonna depend on the officer. That's a gamble I wouldn't take.

I also want to add, I get stopped and checked by FWC almost every time I come in and everyone of them has been top notch. Even the ones that came in from Tampa/St. Pete after the spill were nice and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just missed one of those S2S bags on eBay! Knew I should have bought it but was broke from buying an Elite 5. Maybe I'll come across another cheap one or just get a new one when I recover from that Lowrance hit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts