Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Keeping your boat on a lift question

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  huntnflorida 
#1 ·
Aside from the normal cleaning, flushing and maintenance, is there any extra maintenance or preparations that is required or recommended when keeping your boat on a lift. Its a strap lift and it is covered. My boat is painted aluminum if that makes any difference.

#3 ·
I have mine on a lift, however, it is an aluminum cross member lift with bunks, not strap. Because it cradle does not have as much support as my trailer I am always careful to make sure that the boat transom is supported by the bunks and extends inboard of the bunk ends. I have a bay boat with a jackplate the extends the motor beyond the transom. With the motor extending beyond the transom I want as much support under the transom as possible. You may want to consider this as you position your boar over the straps.

#5 ·
I'll just mention a few things to think about. On a lift I dougt the drain plug is ever pulled.........So it has moisture trapped in the bilge. Wiring and connections really need extra attention. Being on the water all the time the boat is exposed much more to the ellements that make things corrode.

#6 ·
We've kept three different boats on our lift, with straps for about 18 years now. We chose the strap type due to occasional low tides and wanted to be sure I could lower them all the way to the bottom. In 18 years I've never had a situation that I couldn't get our boat out. Once on a low winter tide we had to rock it a bit. As Xshark noted, bilge plug doesn't get pulled, but our boats have never taken much water in the bilge; all were Walkaround cuddy's. If you have the ability to keep a boat on a lift, do it and save the ramps and parking for those that don't, and the occasions when you want to go to a different area. Otherwise, wash and flush as normal.

#7 ·

#8 ·
If your transducer sits below your hull line (my side-scan does) make sure you don't hang it on the bunk or strap. Don't ask.

#12 ·
I have a 2014 Pathfinder I've kept on a strap lift since the day I bought it. I never pull the plug when it's on the lift but I also don't get much water in the bilge. You should just wash the boat like you would on a trailer, assuming you have access all the way around. Periodically check your straps and cables for wear. I replaced my cables about 3 years ago but the straps have been on for a long time but no signs of wear. Will likely replace in a couple years anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.