Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to fishing with eels.... I've learned thatwhile fishing for cobia you've got to be ready when you see the fish, and that you don't have time to fiddle around trying to put an eel on your hook.

My question is, how do you hook the eel so that it lives if you don't see a fish that day. Also, If nothing can be done to keep it from dying, what are my options for reusing it?

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok guys here how you keep eels ready, and alive. Hook the just under the skin on the neck, just behind the head. set up a bucket with about 6" of water, and then place the ell in the water with just enough line from your rod to allow him to sit on the bottome of the bucket, but NO MORE THAN THAT. If you allow the eel enough room to move around, he will twist into a ball wrapping up your hook and line and himself to the point that it will kill him.

Every so often, put fresh water in the bucket by replacing the old water. Again, don't be kind and give him deeper water, he'll just twist himself up and kill himself.

Ok now stand ready with your jig rod, get the cobes to come closer to your boat and than toss out that eel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts