Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a few questions. All I've done in the gulf so far is troll dead cigars and lures for mackerel. This year I bought a pro angler with a fish finder, and I'm pretty much obsessed with catching a big snapper or a small AJ by dropping a bait on some structure. I'm wondering what is the best and easiest way to keep my bait alive? I'd like to just hang one of those bait buckets with the holes in it over the side of my kayak. Or will I get harassed by sharks? I don't really want to go the battery route just for simplicity. Or would I be just as well off to forego the bait and drop jigs and spoons? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Run a search for bait tube in the kayak forum. Fisherdad1 has a good diy guide for a bait tube made out of foam core pvc. I use one when I go offshore and it keeps bait well with very low mortality and minimal drag. Just be sure your bait is turned in the direction you're moving, otherwise you'll drown them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Another thing, is my goal a realistic? I keep watching videos on YouTube of guys hauling in snapper and amber jack, and I'm jealous. How common is it really to paddle up to a wreck, within 4 miles of shore, drop a live bait, and catch big fish?

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I was in a group of guys that left Ft Pickens at 6:00pm and landed at 4:00am. There was some stud fish caught, some stud fish lost and a dam good time!

Sent from Coop's S5 on Tapacrapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in a group of guys that left Ft Pickens at 6:00pm and landed at 4:00am. There was some stud fish caught, some stud fish lost and a dam good time!

Sent from Coop's S5 on Tapacrapatalk

Whew! All nighter in a yak in the gulf is a little extreme for me. I'm still a daylight guy. Haha

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks guys. Another thing, is my goal a realistic? I keep watching videos on YouTube of guys hauling in snapper and amber jack, and I'm jealous. How common is it really to paddle up to a wreck, within 4 miles of shore, drop a live bait, and catch big fish?
Most guys that paddle will stay within the 2 mile range, myself included. Depending on your location you may have a few options. Pensacola holds several near shore wrecks/reefs that are within paddling distance. The main one being the three barges. Your aspirations are DEFINITELY do able. I caugh my biggest snapper to date (yak or boat) off of the 3 barges in my yak two years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im from biloxi but once the fishing heats up i spend almost every weekend in pensacola fishing wrecks...build you a nice bait tube and pick up live cigs and hardtails on the way out. iv caught nice size aj's, big snapper, and gags off of 3barges.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Im from biloxi but once the fishing heats up i spend almost every weekend in pensacola fishing wrecks...build you a nice bait tube and pick up live cigs and hardtails on the way out. iv caught nice size aj's, big snapper, and gags off of 3barges.
It's crazy that we can do all that, yet if we want to eat fish, we have to stop by Patties on the way home :001_huh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
What's even more crazy is I don't eat fish...wish I did, I just never had a taste for it. I strictly catch and release. I drive several hours to peddle several hours to get a nice rush and let them go haha

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You usually catch your own bait or buy it?

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
broxons had some really cool bait tubes in a week r so ago i didnt see a price but they were ideal.................ill have one myself directly i guarantee it :yes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Laurel area. About 25 miles north of Hattiesburg. I'd love to meet up with you down there sometime. I've got an idea of what I'm doing, but there's a few minor details I'd love to get some first hand advice on. Like where to get bait hahaha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts