Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of 4 trips so far, we've caught probably 50 or 60 triggers and only 3 were keepers, all from the Nickey grounds area in 103' on the opener. We had to stay closer to the pass the past few trips, but I figured hitting natural bottom in similar depths (spots from 70-110') would produce keepers but instead we're catching tons of 12-14"ers. It's fun but pretty frustrating. Do pyramids or smaller structures typically attract larger fish than natural bottom?

We also saw chicken dolphin greyhounding on the surface for 100+ yards near the 18's reefs on 2 separate occasions today. I didn't see what was chasing them but I have to imagine a sail, wahoo or monster king would be good guesses. We saw lots of scattered weeds with some branches and other bigger flotsam with nobody home.

·
Registered
307 Posts
We ran into the same thing last week. We must have caught 50 fish between the two of us. Enormous snappers and 14" triggers. We came home with nuttin! I am beginning to think they wont grow past 14.5 inches is state waters. Oh, and a bunch of AJ's that we couldn't keep.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Paid charters strip (close in spots) of keepers in off season, then move to private numbers when rec boats start showing in spring. Rinse and repeat. Saw it first hand probably 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We have found limits of triggers on 3 trips so far, but it's taken some time and moving around a lot more than expected. Some of the spots are numbers that I don't think are publicly circulated, but the last two trips were on commonly known structure. We fished Saturday at 3 Barges and Tex Edwards, had my wife and 7 year old with me and wasn't really keen on pushing through the chop and the showers. We caught (and sadly released) a couple nice gag grouper and saw some big snapper follow baits to the boat, but we didn't catch any triggers at all on that trip. I have not fished the new bridge rubble site but had an FWC officer mention that they are already holding fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts