Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 25" gag grouper near the Miss Louise on Sunday. It was a battle getting it turned at the start of the fight and I was glad I had heavy leader, because it was frayed pretty good. I unfortunately lost my camera overboard the last time I went out, so I didn't get any pics. Was hoping it was a cobia, but was happy to get my first keeper grouper. There was quite a bit of boat traffic out looking for cobia, but none of the ones I saw were catching.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I bet that was a fun one to catch in the yak! Congrats! I tie my camera to the inside pocket of my life vest. (I lost a friend's $800 digital camera in boating misshap years ago.) People tend to take extra precautions only after something happens to them. I lost a rod and reel on one of my 1st kayaks outings, so I have tried to have everything tied down since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Alex, got it on a SPRO jig tipped with a chunk of cigar minnow. I caught a bull red near seaside two weekends ago and a 5-6' shark last weekend on a similar rig. I also hooked up a nice king and got several great runs, freelining a cigsickle on the surface while I was bottom fishing. I was hoping a cobia would eat it, so I only used a 6" wire leader with a circle hook. The hook pulled at the yak, but I didn't care since I got the full fight out of it and would have had to stop fishing if I had kept in anyways. I just ordered a fish bag that sits on the bow, so that shouldn't be an issue any more.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
we went out like 2 weeks ago and my buddy caugh a28" gag, he may not have taken a pic with a tape measure so maybe it didn't count. I take all my picswith my fish on the board now, I caught a huge snapper and I never even measured it

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you are bottom fishing at the reefs do you guys anchor, use a drift sock or just drift? I went out to the new rfra reefs off of fort pickens sunday and only caught a few small red snappers. It was kind of tough holding position over the reefs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i dont think they have to have a tape measure in the picture for kw that is cause i posted some of recent fish and the pictures got submitted so not too sure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts