Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Praedator
9,946 Posts
Yep, got this one yesterday. Cut that head off that thing. They can still instictively strike when dead. I've had one try to strike me without a head when I picked it up one time.

·
LADYFISH
196 Posts
They r so beautiful and creepy/terrifying at the same time. One of my FB friends from highschool posted she got bit a few days ago by one...scary stuff!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I walked up on a small black snake earlier in the day, just caught movement out of the corner of my eye, bout messed by pants. Of course, he was harmless and let him go on his way.

·
Praedator
9,946 Posts
I killed a pygmy rattlesnake as well. It was only about 16" long. I actually ran it over on my lease. So that was two rattlesnakes in one day.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
What environment are you running into these? Deep cover(bushes), sandy areas(laying out sunning), leaf litter? I have been here in Florida for 15 years and spent a good amount of time outdoors. Thank goodness i've never ran across a rattler yet. I've only ever ran across water moccasins. And that was on the rivers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What environment are you running into these? Deep cover(bushes), sandy areas(laying out sunning), leaf litter? I have been here in Florida for 15 years and spent a good amount of time outdoors. Thank goodness i've never ran across a rattler yet. I've only ever ran across water moccasins. And that was on the rivers.
Both of the ones I ran into were in the road sunning.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You will find EDS in more upland, drier habitats. Not terribly common around wet or lower areas. There is a very likely reason why you have never come up on a rattlesnake in your 15 years of living in FL. I have lived here my entire life (37 years) and only seen 3 pygmies and 3 diamondbacks. Just hang around this forum long enough and you will soon understand why diamondbacks and other venomous snakes are no longer very common.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You will find EDS in more upland, drier habitats. Not terribly common around wet or lower areas. There is a very likely reason why you have never come up on a rattlesnake in your 15 years of living in FL. I have lived here my entire life (37 years) and only seen 3 pygmies and 3 diamondbacks. Just hang around this forum long enough and you will soon understand why diamondbacks and other venomous snakes are no longer very common.
Hunters see more snakes in the Fall and Winter simply because we spend more time in the woods than in the Summer or hot weather months, due to building food plots and setting up feeders. We rarely have had a cold enough Fall or Winter to run them "in the ground" over the past few years because of climate change.
The snakes are there but usually slow. I have seen big rattlers in January while sweating my ass off. 30 years ago it was so cold you did not want to leave camp.
We have yet to have a cold snap this year, and I have no facts for historic October temps, but remember it was always cold as hell when the Fair came to Pensacola.
Plus, we hunt earlier now with Bow Season. Years ago, it was Thanksgiving weekend before I got in the woods. No feeders or food plots, just stalked hunted. Never played in the woods during the Summer months.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
We have yet to have a cold snap this year, and I have no facts for historic October temps, but remember it was always cold as hell when the Fair came to Pensacola.
You have no facts but you are convinced that climate change is a legitimate driving force behind snake behavior?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You have no facts but you are convinced that climate change is a legitimate driving force behind snake behavior?
My opinion on climate change, which I feel is a natural occurrence is not fact based. I think we have much milder Fall and Winter months and less hard freezes than in the past.
Then again, the increase of snake encounters might not be weather related at all. More folks could be hunting and spending time in the woods than in the past. The snake population might be doing very well.
Mass communication via the internet and forums like this one allow more people to post encounters for all of us to read about that would otherwise be unknown. So, actual snake encounters could actually be less, we just hear about more of them.

I hope we have a cold Winter and it stays cold for a while. The Mosquito population is out of control. That is a FACT:yes:

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Which brings up something I've always wondered about. It's cold in Alaska but I've heard they have huge Mosquitos. So why doesn't the cold kill them?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Still not sure why people kill the ones in the woods. Unless your going to eat it of course. When I grew up we didnt kill anything unless we were going to eat it. Only exception was if we ran across an animal with rabies.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Still not sure why people kill the ones in the woods. Unless your going to eat it of course. When I grew up we didnt kill anything unless we were going to eat it. Only exception was if we ran across an animal with rabies.
I'd rather get bit by an animal with rabies than a damn rattle snake or mocassin any day.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm with you. I was raised to respect nature and only kill what I intended to eat. Hell half the time people get bit they're trying to kill them!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I usually don't kill them in the woods but this one was being really aggressive and my younger brother is going to be hunting there and he isn't really fond of snakes. Usually I just scare them away.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I usually let most snakes go on about their business. I came across another small diamondback the next day and let him go.
Heck, I have even caught moccasins in my yard and released them in the river swamp.
This one was so big and had a beautiful skin that I decided to kill it for the skin and meat.
I have always heard they were good eating and wanted to give it a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts