Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I currently have http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37588

I'm been blessed by God to be able to upgrade if I want to. What I have now is just fine but, I would like to finally get some of the bells and whistles of something modern (what I have now is 35 years old) . My health has required me to have things be as easy and auotmatic as possible, although what I have now will work. Please help me decide. I've looked at several options and wonder if this is something I reallyshould do or am I being a spoiled brat. Either way I will still live to kill the tasty Blue Gill.:doh

·
Registered
213 Posts
well depend on what you wanna catch from what ive seen you like blue gill..... well i would upgrade to a newer skiff or bass boat.. there not to bad on price if you dont get a huge upgrade but from 35 yrs to 3-5 yrs make a deffrence in tech.

i would have to say i would upgrade, i love having a modern boat not olny does it look good but it rides smoother an is easy to get in an out to my spot with no problems

·
Registered
120 Posts
I say upgrade and buy what u've always wanted. i did that a few months ago with a catamaran boat i've always wanted. your only young enough and healthy enough to fish and do what u want for so many years so spoil yourself and you'll never look back and wonder or wish what if

that being said i bought my dad a new bluegill/flounder rig when he retired a few years ago. he had almost the exact same setup you've got. he fishes up on the alabama river at boatyardlake almost year round and we flounder in the bay this time of year. i bought him a j16 carolina skiff with a 25hp honda outboard on a drive on trailer. it's got two big comfortable captain's chairs and has the front deck and small back deck with the side console. he absolutely positively loves that boat and wouldn't trade it for any other. he fishes all over with it in his motor home as well. i feel safe with him in it, won't sink and that honda purrrrr's and uses a 1/3 the gas he use to use on his evinrude. it's got twin batteries and a 5gallon fuel cell with all the whistles. inside lights, tach, trim and tilt, bilge pump, fish finder, running lights and is a breeze to pull. so do yourself a favor you'll never regret and move on up....:)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
well, you probably won't get anything for your boat. And its paid for. Always hard to buy something new to replace something that is paid for, especially when that "something" is perfect for you needs.

However, a 30 yr old boat is going to have problems. My guess is you are always having to do something to that motor. And my bet is it will leave you stranded. I know, a newer model can leave you stranded as well. But odds are greater with a 30 yr old motor. On the other hand, a smaller, older boat is probably better for your type of fishing.

I want to say go for it, but truth be known, if it were me, I would be really slow to upgrade. Especially since your current model is "perfect" in your eyes. I think it comes down to how finically able you are to get a new boat right now. You would hate to upgrade something that is perfect and in doing so put you in a hole that might come back and bite you down the road.

Tough decision. Getting a newer motor would greatly increase my boat confindence.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
AUradar (11/15/2007)I want to say go for it, but truth be known, if it were me, I would be really slow to upgrade. Especially since your current model is "perfect" in your eyes. I think it comes down to how finically able you are to get a new boat right now. You would hate to upgrade something that is perfect and in doing so put you in a hole that might come back and bite you down the road.

Tough decision. Getting a newer motor would greatly increase my boat confindence.
Same here.....

IF your setup is 1) reliable..2) serves your need..You won't hear up-grade from me. Iwould only up-grade if one or both the above are not met...But that's me. I don't need the best, most current, the most expensive things to make me happy....see my Christmas list. Now take my wife, shemay bethe best, and expensive although not the most current.:doh...Damn did I really say that:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now is a good time of the year to upgrade. Wills Marine of Pensacola has dramatically reduced the price on all 2007 boat, motor & trailer packages in stock.

A couple of examples are the 15ft SeaArk aluminum Cast & Blast powered by either 25hp Johnson or theEvinrude E-TEC 40hp,17 ft SunDance F17CC powered with anEvinrude E-TEC 50hp and the 16ft Sundance K16 powered with Evinrude E-TEC 40hp (great fresh water and flounder boat.)

Cast & Blast with a 25hp Johnson $8,425

Cast & Blast with an Evinrude E-TEC 40hp $10,425

K16 with an Evinrude E-TEC 40hp16ft

F17CC with anEvinrude E-TEC 50hp $12,522

Wills Marine of Pensacola 432-2383 ask for Mike, 341-9718 after hours and weekends email [email protected]

·
Registered
782 Posts
i say if you can afford to get what you want, do it. we only get one shot at this life. you might as well have as many thingsthat make you happy you can afford.

·
Registered
213 Posts
whipper snapper (11/15/2007)i say if you can afford to get what you want, do it. we only get one shot at this life. you might as well have as many thingsthat make you happy you can afford.

yea!!! what he said

·
Registered
724 Posts
only you know if you can afford it. after that its a no brainer. upgrade now. that 17 at wills is a sweet deal if trailer comes with it. if you REALLY want a new boat now, and can afford it, then you will regret it later on. just think of the fuel you'll be saving with a more efficient motor, even if it is pushing a bigger boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts