Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to fishing but have become completely addicted. I am having a problem keeping live bait fish on the hook. Something comes by, there is a huge "hit" and BAM no more bait fish. A couple times I have been able to let them take for 10 seconds and then try to set the hook, with very little luck. I can bring them in to about 5' from and if I allow any slack the fish is gone. I lost a very big fish about 3' from shore last weekend that I fought with for about 10 min last weekend and I want to correct whatever I am doing wrong. I am using mostly No2 circle hooks, or J hooks and coated wire leader. I have tried baiting thru the lips, thru the back towards the front and then towards the tail. I know this may seem trivial to some but I am truly in learning mode and love my new found hobby. Can anyone give some help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I normally use # 5 or 6,if I am trying to hang something big,like a cobia.Gotta let them run,regardless of the fish.Too many of "us" learned the hard way by using the horse im in method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will upsize the hooks. And I am learning to control my excitement and not "horse em"......LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JD- I guess I am aiming more for the bluefish. They are my favorite catch so far above pompano, and redfish. Those are really the only ones I have caught so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts