Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a video of my first solo offshore kayak trip at Perdido Key. Learned some lessons on this one! After this trip I came to this forum for advice and applied that to the next trip and was successful. So, thanks to all of the helpful members of this forum! Thanks for watching and please subscribe.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Gear looks a little heavy for Kayak fishing. I use Penn 4500SVLL with 300yds of 20lb for kings. PB King over 50" on this set up. I also find it is a lot more fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You may already know this but the more line out the less drag you should use with light line. You can get a line break with 10 pound line with say 350 yards out and it will barely bend the rod tip. The maximum amount of reel drag should be applied when the least amount of line is out.

Just the line through the water will create a lot of drag like when a 40 mph Kingfish makes a sharp turn!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice video. Don't think I am brave enough yet to do a solo. Just bought my kayak and still trying to set it up.
I will be down at Ft Pickens with www.georgiakayakfishing.com on Aug 23rd and 24th. You can sign up and paddle with us if you don't want to go it alone. If conditions allow we will be going BTB for Kings and any other pelagics around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may already know this but the more line out the less drag you should use with light line. You can get a line break with 10 pound line with say 350 yards out and it will barely bend the rod tip. The maximum amount of reel drag should be applied when the least amount of line is out.

Just the line through the water will create a lot of drag like when a 40 mph Kingfish makes a sharp turn!
After subsequent trips I have figured this out, but it is good info for sure. It still hurts me every time I see that fish come unbuttoned though!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts