Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little bit of heads up for you guys that have towers, or any other type of top on your boat. Keep a good eye on your pipe. Mostly around the base of where it mounts. I have seen them freeze. If you can keep it out of the direct wind, and maybe with the sun beating down on it during the day time hours. There are to many tops out there that won't have some water in the pipes. Every time you drill a hole to mount a light, or push a wire through you are at risk of water collecting in the top. Just keep an eye out.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Just a reminder make sure you have pulled your plug outta both your lawn pump and your boat.:doh

one thing you could do is get out that air compressor and blow the mounts at the base where they arebolted to the floor. The water will freeze and expand and could cause your mount to have a slight gap in between it and the floor.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If your motors are stored in the trimmed up position <U>rainwater will fill the area!!!</U> As this freezes the surface will freeze first and form an ice plug that klings to the spokes of the carrier bearing support. As the ice expands this puts pressure on the internallower unit housing:banghead

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Tim Barry ( BAYWATCH TOWERS ) (1/8/2010)Just a little bit of heads up for you guys that have towers, or any other type of top on your boat. Keep a good eye on your pipe. Mostly around the base of where it mounts. I have seen them freeze. If you can keep it out of the direct wind, and maybe with the sun beating down on it during the day time hours. There are to many tops out there that won't have some water in the pipes. Every time you drill a hole to mount a light, or push a wire through you are at risk of water collecting in the top. Just keep an eye out.
couldn't you just drill a weep hole at the bottom of each leg? to let the water drain as it gets in there....so there would be no problem when the cold hits

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
ironman172 (1/9/2010)
Tim Barry ( BAYWATCH TOWERS ) (1/8/2010)Just a little bit of heads up for you guys that have towers, or any other type of top on your boat. Keep a good eye on your pipe. Mostly around the base of where it mounts. I have seen them freeze. If you can keep it out of the direct wind, and maybe with the sun beating down on it during the day time hours. There are to many tops out there that won't have some water in the pipes. Every time you drill a hole to mount a light, or push a wire through you are at risk of water collecting in the top. Just keep an eye out.

couldn't you just drill a weep hole at the bottom of each leg? to let the water drain as it gets in there....so there would be no problem when the cold hits

Seems like a good idea that should be a standard.

Maybe there is paranoia about salty water getting in there during use on the water?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
johnsonbeachbum (1/9/2010)
ironman172 (1/9/2010)
Maybe there is paranoia about salty water getting in there during use on the water?
if it's at the bottom??? I don't know...but i didn't think water flows up.... against gravity

by the time you notice anything it will be to late!!!

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
ironman172 (1/9/2010)
johnsonbeachbum (1/9/2010)
ironman172 (1/9/2010)

if it's at the bottom??? I don't know...but i didn't think water flows up.... against gravity

by the time you notice anything it will be to late!!!

LOL, no, I meant that maybe there is paranoia of salty deck water getting into the tower base via any weep hole and not being able to get it rinsed out during washdown.

Then the salty water would be inside on top of the base plate corroding away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts