Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 250#er. I currently have a native magic 12. The only problem is I carry a lot of water in it (through the scuppers) and it is only rated for 325#. Is it just my yak or do the weight limits not mean much? What kind should I replace it with? Big dudes, help me out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was 283 starting into kayaks. Tried the Natives and Hobies. Outback was ok but felt low, slayer felt to unstable and I was low to the water. The Hobie Pro Angler 14 holds up to 600 pounds so I tried that. Man I was sold. I have all my gear, full cooler of ice and water, my big self, and extra room. I can stand up in it, turn around, bring my wife and no water is getting in this thing. Honestly for big guys you can not go wrong with the hobie pro angler. Now these were leg propelled kayaks. I did not search for the traditional paddle kayaks. But I like to fish so I need my chubby little fingers to be free. I'm now down to 265 thanks to my wife's Beach Body coaching and Shakeology and the size of the PA give you a good work out.

If you want i have my wife's PA 12 and my PA 14 you can try out to decide. We can actually go out in normally condition and not a calm windless cove.

·
Hobie PA14
229 Posts
I'm in the same boat, big guy. I got the PA14 and am totally sold. I feel 100% comfortable with all my gear. As mentioned above, this is a pedal yak, but surprisingly it is very easy. I do 4-5 miles with no problem at all. If you want something to paddle, you can always get a Big Tuna. They are made for two but can be configured for one. My vote is PA....but I'm biased. GT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnx for the replies.

I think I'm leaning towards the big game or the wilderness ride 115. Can't afford a PA.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm a 250#er. I currently have a native magic 12. The only problem is I carry a lot of water in it (through the scuppers) and it is only rated for 325#. Is it just my yak or do the weight limits not mean much? What kind should I replace it with? Big dudes, help me out.
I do not own a kayak nor can I help you with this answer. However I was at Bass Pro today and they had a pool set up so that people could try out different yaks. They said they were starting this tomorrow. I would probably water test as many as I could if I were you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm 225# and find the Outback comfortable. It's nowhere near as roomy as the cockpit of the PA, other than not being very stable while standing I don't feel like it limits me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am 230# at the moment and I just went out for the first time in my Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II, and it was very stable. I also stayed dry the whole time.

·
2015 PA 14
43 Posts
Same situation. 250lbs. I rode in a friends outback and it was o.k but not as stable as my PA14. I haul 4 to 6 rods, cooler, milk crate, fishboard, bait tube, cast net so and and so forth. Its a beast dragging to and from launch points but in the water its a fortress of stability. I've even chucked the cast net a few times standing up in it....like many others im sold completely on the PA'S. Its pricey but for the storage, stability and roominess you cant beat it!

·
Constitution Conservative
2,541 Posts
#250 here, and have a OK Prowler 13.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think I'm leaning towards the big game or the wilderness ride 115. Can't afford a PA.
If you're considering the Ride 115 you should just go ahead and go with the Ride 135. The extra 2' makes a difference. The 135 is super stable and can handle a big boy. I still have mine that I use occasionally, but I did drink the Kool-Aid and buy a PA-14.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts