Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone kayaked down Yellow River to East Bay from the Milligan Landing on Hwy 90? Can the trip be done in one day (at a leisurely but steady pace)? If not, can the trip be made over the weekend? I know it depends on rainfall, but typically is there high and dry ground available for camping at the approximate halfway point? I presume you can camp on Eglin's property with a permit? Are the yellow flies (flying piranhas) gone by late summer / early fall?

Not sure about doing this trip but I've always loved Yellow River and would like to experience it without a motor. Probably should do a shorter trip first. Any input or additional information appreciated.

Thanks.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,073 Posts
1st thing is, you can get to East River via Yellow River, unless you go to the mouth in Blackwater Bay, then paddle South on Blackwater to East River.

Also, there used to be a log jam somewhere up around the Milligan area, not sure if it got cleared?

·
Registered
137 Posts
We put in at Hwy 2 and spent three days canoeing down to East Bay years ago. The water was high but we also took a 18'? Cobia(support boat) down the river so the chainsaws were busy. I couldn't do it today because I would have to stop and fish too much.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That is a trip that I have often thought of doing as well. Log onto Google Earth and zoom in on the river. There appear to be few sandbars along the way but I am sure there are pull outs.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Public ramp at Guest Lake is a good place to camp but there’s no potable water. I would advise you to put in there and paddle out to the river to make sure you can find it when coming from upstream as it’s easy to miss. Wilkerson Bluff and Log Lake are private RV Park & Campgrounds. Other than that Elgin is the only public campgrounds and you need a permit from Jackson Guard. Not sure but I think you can get them online. Gin Hole just below where Shoal Rv. comes in, Carr Landing is next then Metts Bluff is the last one. The bleachers are on Elgin for the Ranger School so don’t camp there. The river forks down below there and I would advise taking the left fork the right fork goes by Grarners Campground (private) and forks again below there with the right fork being rough going. Fishers Mill Landing is on that fork but it is easier to paddle up to it than fight the trees. There’s an old pilling in the middle of the river just before that fork comes back into the river. Just below Hwy 87 Bridge the river forks with the left hand fork being called Weaver Rv and there is a camp site on that fork I almost forgot. For a nice day trip put in Boilling Creek at the bridge on 211 and take out at either Escibano campground on the bay or go on to East Rv
Google Earth all your options so you have an idea of what you’re getting into
Had a friend years ago who would canoe from Milligan to East Rv but he would take a week to make the trip as he fished on the way

Edit to add things I forgot about and I’m sure I missed some others
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts