Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tore my rotator a few months ago and I'm concerned about whether or not I'm going to be able to paddle now. I haven't been to the doctor yet because we weren't close enough to the deductible so I've waited for the new year. I'm in Arkansas so I'm probably not going to try to paddle until late March or April. The pain is at the bottom of my left shoulder blade and right at the top of my shoulder.

Anyone paddle with this kind of injury?

The pain is pretty much constant but i can still do a few pushups and pull back my bow at 62lbs a few times, but any movement even without resistance that puts my elbow level with our above my shoulder hurts like a SOB.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go see Doc

You have symptoms of a minor tear. The more you tear it the harder a surgeon will have to work to mend it back together again if it needs to be repaired. You need to let it calm down and go see doc. Waiting will only cause more problems in a tear that won't heal. Making it harder to get over. You first need a diagnosis though then go from there:):thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The answer is simple - DON'T, DON'T and DON'T.... I have torn my rotator cuff in both shoulders, so I know how painful it is, the post-surgery issues, and the re-hab! One should had a total tear, and it took almost a year before I was able and comfortable to use it, again - the other shoulder was not as bad, but it still took about 6-8 months before I was comfortable....

Sorry, guy, but my experience and my one word to you is DON'T!!!!:thumbdown:

·
Registered
421 Posts
i have a similar injury and am able to kayak just fine with it, but I still think you should be extremely cautious like people advised, here is why. Paddling a kayak, with my injury, isn't a problem b/c I dont lift my elbow up high above the shoulder, or rotate my shoulder in a problematic way. But, loading/unloading the kayak sure can, and its dangerous b/c it would be easy to tear things under the weight of a kayak. Also, I've heard people drown by aggravating a shoulder injury while swimming using the overhand stroke, and you could tear things more. Falling out of a kayak could cause a motion that did damage too. So I dont think you need to abandon kayak fishing, but you need to be more cautious and keep a pfd on so if you get tossed by a wave/wake/bad idea, you keep the worst from happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts